I know people were getting cranky on the RAW thread because they think Sheamus v. Show is a Cell match, but they went out of their way not to say that it was a Cell match, only that it was AT the Hell in a Cell PPV. Here's the full preview article from WWE.com:
Again, notice it says nothing about it being a Cell match, whereas the Punk-Ryback match is specifically noted as being in the Cell.
Point: Me.
I could have sworn that over the past few weeks they've always said IN a hell in a cell. And haven't the past few HIAC ppvs featured multiple cell matches?
ReplyDeleteMiz hits the chinlock, but Kofi makes the comeback and they trip over their own feet while fighting for the finisher, which leads to Kofi getting the wacky kick out of nowhere at 5:15. Probably doesn’t bode well for his chances on the Main Event.
ReplyDeleteScott 1, BOD 1.
I don't remember who said it but I do remember them saying on Raw or Smackdown that it wasn't going to be a Cell match. Kind of weird that both title matches won't be IN the cell but I still think it's stupid to have this PPV anyway.
ReplyDeleteMaybe they'll go with Kofi vs Miz in the Cell at the Cell?
ReplyDeleteIt definitely is stupid to have this PPV, I agree with that.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for tomorrow. I just wish att u verse had ion in hd.
ReplyDeleteYou know, if they want a way out of booking a finish in Punk/Ryback, they could just get Heyman to utilize David Otunga's lawyering skills to get their match moved out of the Cell. Then, to satisfy the necessities of the HIAC PPV, you could just put Sheamus and Show in the Cell, and even throw Orton/ADR in there, since it's more appropriate a feud for the Cell than Punk/THE RYBACK.
ReplyDeleteThat said, moving the match out of the Cell pretty much makes the audience think "Welp, I can skip this one, since we're clearly getting a fuck finish" whereas putting it in the Cell makes the audience think "Damn, I've gotta order the show to see how they get out of this one."
Exactly, it's another Sheamus feud that makes me care even less about his title reign. Overall, I have to say it's the worst since Triple H "earned" the title. At least last year when Orton and Christian were constantly switching they created an engaging program.
ReplyDeleteI know that is becomingly increasingly common to bitch about Sheamus and his position in the company. But what else is there to do but complain?
Yes all 3 years have had both title matches in the Cell, and sometimes other feuds too(DX/Legacy).
ReplyDeleteThey should put Show/Sheamus in the Cell, if nothing else to try and save the buyrate because I think we are really in for a bad show.
But yeah H/Taker was the proper use of a Cell, not these 3 week feuds. Who books this shit(oh yeah Stephanie McMahon and a bunch of hollywood writers that don't know shit about wrestling.)
KOFI KING OF THE MID-CARD!
ReplyDeleteTo be fair to Sheamus, they've done him no favors in the feuds they've put him in. The ADR stuff was unbearable and the Big Show is not much better. I understood the need to move Daniel Bryan onto the great Punk feud, but couldn't they have thrown Sheamus a feud with Chris Jericho before he left? Or instead of demoting Miz to the Intercontinental Championship, why not just make him a whipping boy for Sheamus? Or keep Christian heel and make him a contender? There was a lot that could have been done to make for a more interesting title run, but we were forced to see their hand picked champion take on their hand picked challengers.
ReplyDeleteWhat I find even more bothersome is that they KNEW this PPV was coming, yet they didn't book ANY of their feuds to coincide with a logical need for the structure. Like, at Night of Champions, before they could have foreseen the Cena injuries, you had to assume they would do Cena/Punk again. Yet the booking of the match was centered around a double pin -- something the cell wouldn't have prevented. Why not build it around incessant interference from Heyman? And the cell could be introduced to prevent that from happening.
ReplyDeleteOr with the World Heavyweight Championship, they could've come up with a potential story where Vickie convinces Booker to make the match in the cell (so that more damage is done to both competitors, increasing Dolph's chances of cashing in afterwards).
This, more than any other year, screams of "It's October....gotta put some matches in the cell" instead of a combination of promotion and storytelling.
ALL HAIL LORD OF THE 50/50 BOOKING! LONG MAY KING KOFI KINGSTON REIGN OVER THE LAND OF DISTRACTION ROLL UP FINISHES! KKK! KKK! KKK!
ReplyDeleteFuck these stupid gimmick ppvs... And how bad will this be? Ryback hasn't worked anything passed a squash, and now he's in a 20+ minute gimmick match? Sure Punk is awesome but he's not god (or Flair).
ReplyDeleteI
Say what? Kofi is batting 1.000 in this feud.
ReplyDeleteRyback is the Main Event on Main Event next week, so he should be prepared to work The Cell at The Cell.
ReplyDeleteWhat bothers is they added these "gimmick" ppvs to increase buyrates because they are "different," but next month at Survivor Seis (which is supposed to be different) they'll just book the same kind of show with one traditional elimination match. I say fuck that, give us an old school card with 4 40minute five-on-five elimination matches!
ReplyDeleteSo you want an entire PPV dedicated to meaningless matches?
ReplyDeleteThat show would get a lower buyrate than Bragging Rights!
I wonder if having an athletic black guy holding a mid-card title is one of Steph's fetishes or something...
ReplyDeleteThe WWE Universe would fold in on itself if Kofi ever fought Shelton for a mid card title.
ReplyDeleteC'mon Scott, where's the Badd Blood 97 Scott sez?
ReplyDeleteI agree. HITC used to be the blowoff match to end all blowoff matches, now they just book random shit for it because it's that time of year. Punk and Ryback haven't even had a match together yet and their program has been going for what, 2 weeks now? And they're getting a HITC match? This has bad idea written all over it. And really, with the PG era what's even the point? It's just going to be a regular match that happens to take place inside a really big cage.
ReplyDeleteThat's kind of revisionist thinking. There was a time when they just threw HitC matches on RAW.
ReplyDeleteI kind of forgot about those, I remember one being a tag match between Taker/Austin and Kane/Mankind, and I think the other was a blowoff match between Kane and Mankind.
ReplyDeleteTrue or False: Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger once fought in a HitC match.
ReplyDeleteWho says they're going 20+ minutes? I can't see this going past 10.
ReplyDeleteNo 50/50 booking? Am I seeing things?
ReplyDeleteWith MVP as special ref.
ReplyDeleteAm I the only one thinking that could be a great TV match? You just know Ziggler will throw himself around the ring like he's a coked up Shawn Michaels to make Ryback look good.
ReplyDeleteits the addage of stipulations making the match, rather than the match making the stipulations.
ReplyDeleteor something that Scott said in on of his crappy* books that i bought cuz imma mark.
I DESERVE A SHOUTOUT IN THE NEXT BOOK CUZ IM SUCH A FAN!
*They arent crappy. Dungeon of Death wasn't great though.
If you main evented it with an 8 man tag of Cena/HHH/Ryback/McMahon vs. Lesnar/Punk/Ziggler*/Heyman I suspect it would draw quite nicely.
ReplyDelete*In this magical dream world Ziggler interferes at HitC and helps out Punk because ZIggler is a "Heyman Guy" If somehow Mark Henry is healthy by SurSer feel free to plug him in as "guy who is annoyed everyone is on Ryback's nuts"
This may be the first time in forever that internet rumors of a big push for a midcarder are true. I'm sure being close friends with their #1 heel doesn't hurt...
ReplyDeleteHalf man, half referee, half amazing.
ReplyDeleteHonestly? If they went balls out kinda like an Ultimate X or something, I could sorta be into that.
ReplyDeleteMaybe.
Yeah, but wasn't that really before HITC was established as, well, what it is/was?
ReplyDeleteFalse... I think.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree. A few years ago, during the Raw/Smackdown/ECW era, they did a show that was virtually all elimination matches and it was a lot of fun. I think the World Heavyweight Championship was defended so there was at least one main event singles match. The rest of the matches, for the most part, were face vs. heel 5 on 5 matches that included competitors from all three brands.
ReplyDeleteAnd most of all, it's a great excuse to give a bunch of guys the opportunity to get a PPV pay out.