Skip to main content

WWE Main Event 10-17-12



Well, I’ve been looking to try something new, and the generally positive reaction to this show have convinced me to bite the bullet and give this a shot. That and zanadude’s relentless pimping of it… This will be the first time I’ve watched a WWE TV show in years, outside of catching brief bits of Raw during Top Gear commercial breaks. It’ll certainly be nice to see something with decent production values, unlike the ROH shows I’m used to.



Taped from Memphis, TN.

We start out with Cole and JBL in the ring. Clips of Kofi busting Miz’s head open from Raw are shown, then a pretty well done video package for Kofi. Kofi gets interviewed in the back and promises to win the IC title. The Miz comes out cuts a promo (with the WWE logo upside-down on the mic cube for some reason), basically saying that no one else would be back the very next night after taking a kick like that. Miz video package, and Kofi comes out as we cut to commercial.

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Kofi Kingston vs. The Miz(C): I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen Kofi wrestle. Lots of amateur-style stuff to start and they trade shoulder blocks. Miz tries a hiptoss but Kofi reverses it into a monkey flip, clotheslines him to the floor, and hits a nice running somersault dive to the outside. Miz gets tossed back in and Kofi follows with a springboard forearm for 2. Miz comes back with an elbow to the face (which really didn’t need to be replayed) and hits the chinlock, but Kofi gets out of it with a jawbreaker. A sunset flip/reversal/reversal sequence gets a few 2 counts for both guys. Kofi goes for Trouble in Paradise, but Miz ducks out of the way and bails to the floor as we go to commercial.

We’re back with Kofi kicking away in the corner. He goes for the 10-count punches, but Miz powerbombs him out of the corner. Heh, I called that as soon as Kofi hopped up there. Miz with the HHH knee for 2, ax-handle from the top for 2, and then back to the chinlock. Kofi flips out of a suplex and gets a scoop slam, but tries something or other that hits the knees. No idea what he was going for there… Both guys simultaneously hit a bodypress and we have the double KO. Kofi’s up first and he chops away and hits a dropkick. Miz ducks a blind charge and Kofi catches himself and hops up to the top, but Miz tosses him to the floor. We go back to a commercial break. Seriously, again?

Back with a Miz headlock, Kofi fights out but Miz sends him right back down with a knee and kicks him in the face a few times. Blind charge from Miz this time and he crotches himself on the second rope and Kofi follows up with an atomic drop. They slug it out, and one major difference between this and the ROH I always watch is the selling, as both of them are acting worn out here, as opposed to the “get hit with something and act like it hurts for 10 seconds then forget about it” thing that has infested most indy promotions these days. Miz gets backdropped to the floor, baseball slide misses, and now here’s the spot of the night: Miz tries throwing Kofi into the stairs, but Kofi just launches himself over them to miss, and comes back with a flying clothesline off the stairs. It gets 2 back in the ring. Kofi gets a kick to the head from the apron and a flying bodypress that Miz rolls through for 2. Kofi comes back with a clothesline and a double legdrop. Trouble in Paradise attempt #2 misses and Miz goes for a pin while holding the tights, but Kofi kicks out. S.O.S. for Kofi and Miz gets his foot on the rope. He tries grabbing the belt and walking out, but Kofi hits a plancha and tosses him back in. Miz comes back with a really fucked-up looking DDT for 2. Miz goes for the Skull-Crushing Finale, Kofi counters but eats a boot and Miz tries the pin with his feet on the ropes. Ref sees it, Miz stops to argue with him, and I think you all know what happens next. Trouble in Paradise and we have a NEW Intercontinental Champion at 15:32 aired. I know the IC title is kind of worthless these days, but even so having a title change does a good job of not making this look like a B-show, especially with this week’s Smackdown having 3 non-title matches. Match was crap, however. *1/2, Kofi looked great but the Miz was just awful here, as nearly his entire offense was punching, kicking, knees, and restholds. Outside of a couple Kofi highspots this was kind of boring too. I should also note that WWE announcing Kofi’s win on their own website kind of kook all the suspense out of it. Kofi thanks the fans after the win.

Miz gets interviewed in the back, but talks so low into the mic I can’t even hear what he says.

Vickie Guerrero brings out Dolph Ziggler as we go to break

Dolph Ziggler vs. Zack Ryder: Lillian introduces Ryder as “Zack Raider”, I gotta wonder who she’s banging to let her keep this job. Armdrags from Ryder to start off, Ziggler comes with an elbow out of the corner but gets dropped. Blind charge by Ryder finds a boot to the face. Ziggler stomps away and hits an elbowdrop. They fight over a headlock, and Ziggler hits a great Holly-esqe dropkick. This won’t come as news to anyone, but Vickie’s screaming is REALLY irritating. Ryder with a clothesline, Ziggler charges a couple times but gets caught and Ryder hits a missile dropkick. Ryder hits a forearm in the corner and gets the Broski Boot (which has to be about the stupidest name for a finisher I’ve ever heard), Ziggler kicks out and hits a sort of jumping neckbreaker thing to finish at 2:49. Short but fine. **

Ziggler issues an open challenge for next week and Ryback appears at the top of the ramp to end the show.

Overall, this wasn’t a bad show, and could be a pretty good show as long as we get someone who doesn’t suck instead of The Miz. The commentary was better than I expected, the social media whoring was non-existent, and John Cena’s name wasn’t mentioned once. In fact, there was really no talk of anything that didn’t directly involve what was going on here. They’ve convinced me to come back next week, anyway.
 



Comments

  1. *1/2? Really? You do a better job with NJPW reviews on 411, Mr. Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry man, I just thought Miz sucked and I didn't really like it. Felt it dragged on a little too long too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam Curry, DAT BOI IS IN MY FAV FIVE, so you get my page hits if you keep doing this.


    (Oh, and Miz has an upside-down logo on its mic because it makes an M. For Miz.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that makes sense. I thought it was just a fuck-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The match was *** at least

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ziggler vs Ryder > Miz vs Kofi??

    ...well, I suppose it's always good to have another opinion, as radically different from mine as it may be.

    (FWIW, prowrestling.net summary was "What a great TV match. They told a logical story and used every minute they had. WWE cut in things during the slow moments to keep the momentum up. That was quality television. I'm a little stunned at how good this was. The mid-card hasn't had this amount of love in months.")

    You don't cut Miz any slack for having HIS HEAD KICKED OUT FROM HIS HEAD less than 24 hours earlier?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even see the match and *1/2 seems harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's been doing it since whenever he had the belt. He used to arrange the spinner on the belt into the "M" also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you haven't watched the last several Wrestlemanias but you decided to watch this? As awesome as this show is, this boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know star ratings are subjective and all... and I know most non WWE wrestling fans have a superiority complex about them when it comes to mainstream pro wrestling, but seriously it is laughable you gave that match such a low rating. It was perfectly acceptable wrestling, fun to watch with a clean finish, the match was so inoffensive to the common eye that I just think you made that rating to poke fun. I'm not usually that bothered about who reviews the shows as long as they have some understanding of the promotion they are watching and the style of performance they offer, but a biased Puro/Indy guy is not the answer IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just didn't care for it, I thought Miz was was working... I don't know, just really lazy, I guess. It was all kicking and punching from him, I think he did all of 3 or 4 actual moves that weren't restholds. And if he wasn't 100% from the kick then they should have just pushed the match back a week. I don't watch too much WWE, really just the occasional PPV match that interests me or stuff off YouTube, so maybe I just need to get used to the "WWE style". After all, indy stuff is really my bread-and-butter. And though I gave the other match a higher rating it's not really fair to directly compare the two, one was pretty much a squash and and the other was a 15 minute title match.

    I did really like the show, however, just didn't really care for that match.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off, I'm not a puro guy. I like a few junior guys (mostly Ohtani and CIMA), but I generally hate the heavyweight stuff, especially the Kings Road style. But me being an indy guy is kind of the point I was going for here, to look at the show from a different perspective. I'll be the first to admit that I kind of over-analyzed the match (as evidenced by the long PBP), but that's just kind of how I watch, I'm all about workrate. I thought that Miz wasn't on the same level of Kofi and it hurt the match. It's not like I gave it a DUD or anything. The old FAQ calls *1/2 "below average but not atrocious" and that's how I felt about it. Calling it "crap" was bit strong, I'm seeing that now, but I stand by the rating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You weren't a fan of the Attitude Era, were you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I was not, in fact I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess I can appreciate the novelty 'non WWE' fan perspective review, it's an interesting angle but I hope in time you can adjust to 'WWE stye'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reading through the whole review again, I fail to understand what you liked about the show that would get you to watch it again. All I saw was a note on better than expected commentary and that some things that you hate were missing.

    So you're tuning in again in the hopes of hearing some more Cole and JBL banter?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still thought it was a solid show, I just totally didn't care for that match, or really just for the Miz. I really liked to video packages in particular, seeing as how I don't watch WWE much they did a good job of telling me about guys I didn't know too much about. But the review will probably be a one time thing. I mean, if people want me to keep doing it I will, but it's pretty clear I'm not getting over with this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't begin to express my hatred of King's Road style. I think that, and Davey Richards in general, is why we now have what you described as taking a move and forgetting about it 10 seconds later.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely, and you can pin some of the blame on people like Meltzer for telling Americans that it's the greatest thing ever too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well I didn't see it but I am with you on the Miz; he just plain sucks in the ring. His Mania main event w/ John Cena was the worst main event in Mania history(worse than Taker-Sid and Hogan-Sid atleast they had cool endings). Recently I watched the whole Summerslam 2012 show and I can safely say his match with Rey was the worst on the card. Yes Rey is only an average worker at this point, and wrestles more like Mil Masacara in '97, but that match was awful.

    Miz just doesn't have 'It' in the ring. I like his mic skills, in fact if WWE had managers, I think he would make a great one. Same with Ken Kennedy in TNA. But one of the writers must have a hard-on for his looks and that's why he stays relevant.

    In fact the ONLY Miz match I ever really liked was Miz/Truth vs Cena/Rock only because The Rock was fucking on fire that night. Everything he did was smooth and crisp, the Steamboat-like armdrags, the Hennig-like fishermans suplex(made Cenas version look even more like shit), he showed Cena how to be a #1 babyface...BUT the angle at HIAC with Miz/Truth doing a Horsemen beatdown in the Cell and the whole roster trying to get to them just didn't work. On paper the angle was gold, but K Kwik and Miz just looked so out of place.

    Just make Miz a manager. Bring back awesome managers :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cena/Miz was worse than Hogan/Bundy? Bret/Yokozuna? Bigelow/Taylor? Really^3?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fair point. I'm glad you're not hypocritical about it. Because, the Miz basically wrestles like a less athletic Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  23. it had Miz in it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Get your WWE Main Event NOW!


    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuezgu_by-rulez-w-m-e-2012-10-17-pdtv-pt1-1_tech

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuezgv_by-rulez-w-m-e-2012-10-17-pdtv-pt1-2_tech

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuezgu_by-rulez-w-m-e-2012-10-17-pdtv-pt1-1_tech

    ReplyDelete
  25. So I'm supposed to take this review seriously from a guy that doesn't even know why the w on the mic is upside down? That's worse than the other guy that thinks meng is Samoan. These b writers are terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  26. He did it... for the blog. He did it... for the people.

    ReplyDelete
  27. well he said he doesnt watch wwe programming so...

    ReplyDelete
  28. So he shouldn't be reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. He said, he would probably do this one time and go back to what he enjoys.


    Are you reading what he wrote? or just skimming?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I read in the other thread that there was controversy. So I came here to check the review. The first thing that caught my eye was the ignorance to the product. And I knew that the rest was just a waste of time.

    It's like a vegetarian reviewing cheeseburgers.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Waste of time, but did you continue reading it through, or just skimmed for bullet points?

    Your answer please.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bigelow/Taylor was actually pretty good and the Bret/Yoko match from WM9 was decent too and I'd take both those matches over the Miz one. The Miz/Cena match wasn't bad as such, just horribly disappointing, it was the main event of WM yet they worked like it was a TV match. Miz should have been willing to kill himself Dolph Ziggler style to justify that sort of push.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I hardly watch the tv shows these days either and if I do watch a wrestling show it'd be a one hour show like this or NXT or Superstars (back when it was good). One hour wrestling shows is just more appealing to watch for the average viewer as the time goes by rather quickly, unlike when you're watching a 3 hour Raw. I tried watching a 3 hour Raw once and I just kept checking the clock every 5 minutes to see how long left I had of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice to see that despite the writers' best efforts, Kofi is still somewhat over with the crowd. Why they don't seriously push this guy is just beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What is Kings Road style? Never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  36. All Japan. Misawa and all those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can't believe how worked up people get over star ratings.

    I think it does shed some light on the way certain styles of wrestling are expected to be accepted just because they are ubiquitous.

    The big weakness to me with the so called WWE style is that it requires so much external support to be most effective, because the physical work itself is rarely impressive. It is a style of wrestling that requires backstory and production values, it's not really a "standalone" style, so it suffers in the absence of those elements.

    I think that is one reason why you had a lot of people feeling like UT/HHH at WrestleMania was a big bore, if you're not emotionally invested in the story, either because you don't watch very much or you just don't buy it, then it seems like two old guys laying around forever between moves.

    ReplyDelete
  38. In all honesty, it was a well written review, and Curry Man came in straight by saying that he hasn't watched WWE in years but was willing to give this a shot. I had a feeling by the way he was describing the offense, especially by Miz, that it was going to be a low star rated match, and that's okay.


    Just curious though, when was the last time you watched WWE?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Meltzer's favorite, the one that got AJPW more 5 star ratings then anyone else combined in the 90's

    ReplyDelete
  40. Miz is terrible. Kofi, however, is "the real" (tm Iron Sheik).

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yes. Cena/Miz was worse than those matches.

    ReplyDelete
  42. The fact that he doesn't watch WWE was sort of the point -- an outside perspective. It's fine, nothing to get worked up over. I typically avoid the other writers on here besides Scott anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  43. the biggest problem I had with UT/HHH at this year's WM was the referee crying hysterically though the whole thing. Talk about emotional manipulation.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hogan vs Bundy wasn't that bad. But I like 80's Hogan formula matches.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Why does it have such a ridiculous name?

    ReplyDelete
  46. I've watched some 90's AJPW stuff, excellent wrestling, but it really wears me out. I couldn't imagine watching an entire show of those kinds of matches.

    ReplyDelete
  47. To me Shawn ruined that match.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Pretty much everything in Japan has a ridiculous name. Hell if I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh yeah. Kenta/Misawa matches are really fun. But I can't watch that many of them before I just get tired of it. They're incredible spectacles or wrestling, but...there's no real selling, in them.

    ReplyDelete
  50. That was kind of the point I was going for with that match. That was the first time I've seen Kofi and he was great, but his opponent sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  51. The whole premise is that an indy guy is reviewing mainstream wrestling. If he watched the product...it loses it's point.


    And a guy who hasn't eaten cheeseburgers in five years, talking about the cheeseburger he just wrote would be very interesting, actually. But they'd notice things that a regular cheeseburger eater would notice, because they're so used to cheeseburgers.


    Do you really not grasp the concept of an outsiders perspective?

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm gonna have to agree with Dougie a little bit here. To be so confused by the M is kind of either a general lack of awareness (nice way to say stupid) or a troll tactic. It's hard to figure out which.

    ReplyDelete
  53. The fact that people hate The Miz this much is good sign his shtick is working.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I get it. It's just stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Keep doing it. WWE Main Event needs all the publicity it can get to become the #1 show on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  56. THANK YOU. So many people said Shawn as ref carried the match, can't understand that at all. The match itself is ok, I guess, but something I do not think I will ever watch again.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I hate when they combatants drop each other on the head 20 times a piece in the match and the finish is a lariet.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This guy gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Try translating all the names of your things into Japanese and see how ridiculous they sound to them.

    ReplyDelete
  60. For the record, it was a lack of awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I stopped defending you Curry Man. It was obvious, these pleebs didn't read your review and just skimmed to the star ratings.


    For future reference: Before you go off smark raging about snowflakes and why someone doesn't know anything about upside-down Ws, try reading the whole thing, its fundamental.


    The more you know, the more you grow.


    But you don't have to take my word for it.


    Knowing is half the battle.


    /80s PSAs

    ReplyDelete
  62. Cultural differences I guess, the Lariat is really over there.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Eh. It got more debate going than if Tommy had done the main-event review.


    CONTROVER$Y CREATE$ CA$H!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Correct me if I'm wrong, but matches outside the main event aren't as insane and Juniors rarely do the full on "Kings Road" thing

    ReplyDelete
  65. eh, I enjoy some Kings Road if you have the right guys in there (KENTA KOBASHI!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  66. Being fair, If Meltzer thinks King's Road is the best thing since sliced bread he has a right to that Opinion

    ReplyDelete
  67. I could be mistaken but I don't think they entire card is wrestled like that, think like how WWE main event style is different from Cruiser wight style, or any other style you find on the show

    ReplyDelete
  68. I read the whole thing. The upside-down W should be obvious to anyone why it's upside-down if a person with a name that starts with M is holding the mic and is a bad guy. It's not quantum physics.

    ReplyDelete
  69. never seen a whole card so I wouldn't know. I only know of AJPW having 6 Japanese guys and a few Americans, lol

    ReplyDelete
  70. thanks for the links zanadude. Great show. Kofi vs Miz was an easy ***1/2

    ReplyDelete
  71. Sorry for the late reply...


    Full time? 1998, but I did catch a lot of stuff from Royal Rumble 2000 until a while after the Invasion angle. Call it about 2004ish. Pretty much stopped watching once they brought in all the TV writers, though I try my best to see every Wrestlemaina (I think the only one I've missed is the one where HBK retired, not counting some of the really old ones) and Royal Rumble, and any other PPV that interests me. I just refuse to watch the TV shows, fuck "telling stories", I want to see wrestling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment