Skip to main content

Blurred signs& rhetorical questions

Hi Scott,
I'm watching the "Triple H- The King of Kings: There is Only One" DVD. During the second match (Marc Mero vs. HHH) there is a HUGE sign that says "Hump his face Goldust".  While this may be the funniest sign I have ever seen it leads me to two questions:
1) With all the rampant blurring they've had to do, and given the PG-era of the last many years, wouldn't it make sense to blur potentially offensive signs?
2) This was back in the day when very few people brought signs to matches so it was easy to read them, compared to the Attitude era where it seemed like everyone had one. Are there any that stick out in your mind as being memorably funny? (I always enjoyed Anti-WCW signs at Nitro that would say "I'd rather be watching RAW)
 
 
Well my personal favorite was the "What's Kayfabe?" sign I made for my roommate to carry around to the Canadian Stampede PPV, since I wasn't able to attend and wanted to make my mark somehow.  I remember D-X doing some really funny signs while sitting on the stage one week, like "Who booked this crap?" and "I'd rather be in Chyna".  The second one ended up getting brought by fans more often than not. I'm sure the blog can think of other funny signs, because I tend to tune them out unless they're related to me. 

I've never really seen them blur for offensive material unless it's outright swearing, actually.  

Comments

  1. Sign Guy Dudley and Lodi always had clever ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Stolen Gimmick Victim"

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They're fighting over shampoo", or something to that effect, during the Edge/Booker T feud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two old favourites of mine during the Monday Night Wars era. Both juvenile but both made me laugh when I saw them:


    "CHYNA FLINGS POO"
    and
    "GOLDBERG FEARS HITLER"


    Also, anytime someone brave and/or foolish waved a ROID RAGE sign in Scott Steiner's face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if this is true, but there's a long-held story that someone brought a "Bischoff Rapes Chickens" sign to a Nitro once.

    Then there was the Hart Foundation pissing on the American flag at the height of the Canada-US rivalry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friends were always big fans of 'Ric Flair Fears The Dentist'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tyson Killed Tupac, Rumble 98

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always liked "Rikishi eats turtles" for the sheer WTF randomness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe now people are going to start carrying, "Another Headlock, Aksana" after this week's Smackdown. Man, that match with Kaitlyn was so hilariously brutal with her holding that headlock for literally three minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to sound ridiculous, but depending on the time period, that Eric Bischoff sign is possible. Here's my theory: In 1998, South Park was a really hot act. They had a really good episode called "Chickenlover" where the episode's antagonist fucked innocent chickens. It was for a greater good but that's not the point. The episode aired May 27, 1998. It's possible that the South Park episode inspired that Bischoff sign.


    Or it could be purely coincidental.


    Or the sign may have never even existed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. During the first One Night Stand, there was a sign that someone kept moving all around to ensure the cameras picked it up. It only said "PORK," so every time my friend and I saw it on screen, we'd shout "PORK!" It made no sense, but it was hilarious to us.


    I don't know which event, but I remember one very creative fan had The Rock's face, but then had a movable tongue sticking out of the sign's mouth. It was front and centre of the cameras for most of the show.


    Another fan had a flip chart-like sign. It said "My favourite wrestler is..." and they could flip it to dozens of different names, depending on who was in the ring at the time.


    Personally, even though I'd never get away with it, I'd love to bring a sign that says, "If Triple H is The Game, is Steph the box he comes in?"

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was an epic sign for signaling th epic stupidity of that particular feud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "First XFL and now WCW? Vince, you're a DUMBASS" - Final Nitro. Goldberg fears Hitler is up there too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You missed the best ones Scott. Where on RAW we had "Scott Keith fears Scotsman". Literally at the next Smackdown, some ass brought a "Scotsman fears Scott Keith" sign giving me just a few hours of enjoyment. And then someone went to put me back in the lead with the sign at a TNA Weekly PPV - but they might as well have shown up at a Virgil autograph signing or Ryan Murphy social gathering for all the audience that got.

    Not sure how attaching images go here but I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like trains.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Flair fears Rotunda-sept. 1999
    It's funnier now because of Flair having issues with the IRS

    ReplyDelete
  17. FUCK! I was hoping no one would get this before me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. last years WrestleMania (if I am not mistaken): "It's still real to me (PG Version)".

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chyna is my Dad..

    ReplyDelete
  20. classic: "Briscoe Brothers Body Shop Stole My Hubcaps"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Someone made a sign that looked like a Wheaties box but said "Rockies" and had a picture of the Rock like 10 years ago on Smackdown... it had an incredible amount of detail... sadly I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The origin of sign guy Dudley is pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Bossman less sitting down"

    "Chyna pees standing up"

    ReplyDelete
  24. The alwas classic "Vince is gay!"

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Was cane dewey a real sign from a fan or just a work?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah, just remembered one of the signs WWE surely wishes they hadn't shown on TV...


    "Benoit was my biological father... thank God he didn't know!"

    ReplyDelete
  28. My personal fave is still "The Guy Behind Me Can't See."

    ReplyDelete
  29. There was one edition of Nitro in 98/99 ish when five or six guys in the front row opposite the hard camera unveiled a giant Vince McMahon cutout and a multi-part banner which read "he made wrestling". The last shot we saw of the hard camera for about 3-4 minutes was of a phalax of black shirted security men motoring at speed towards the offenders.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I got a legit chuckle out of "Syxx Suxx Dyxx"

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved the Syxx? Nein! sign back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My favorite is still the one guy on Nitro (or maybe Thunder) that had a gigantic "Poke Smot" banner along the barricade in the isle right by the ring. I'm not kidding about the size of it either, looked like it was on a king-size bedsheet. "Who booked this shit?" is always a classic too,



    But overall, fuck people with signs at wrestling shows. Didn't matter what they said, they were just blocking the view of the people behind them. Of course, I once brought an nWo sign to a goddamned house show, so I'm no better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This past WM: "AUSTRALIA HATES CENA" and "IF CENA WINS WE RIOT". Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Also, the guy who made funny signs famous:

    http://www.ddtdigest.com/features/lodi0001.htm

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ric Flair's scared of Corbin Bernsen?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Most of my favourite signs were "xxxxxxxxxx Equals Ratings", with the "xxxxxxxx" generally being some goofy jobber. El Dandy was a common one.

    The "It's Thursday" signs at RAW tapings were good for a laugh, too. As was "I'm Taping Nitro".

    ReplyDelete
  37. One sign I remember from one of the first TNA weekly PPVs that really stood out:

    "RAW SPOILERS: IT'S GONNA SUCK TOO."

    ReplyDelete
  38. I had a friend who went to one of the dreadful Nitro/Thunder dual tapings in 2000 and during the opening segment of Thunder, he held up a sign that read "It's 10:00 and It's Still Monday". He told me security consficated the sign about five minutes later.

    ReplyDelete
  39. There's an entire tumblr dedicated to it: http://fyeahwrestlingsigns.tumblr.com/




    Another Headlock,Randy?

    ReplyDelete
  40. "Of course, I once brought an nWo sign to a goddamned house show, so I'm no better."

    My number 1 wrestling Pet Peeve.Especially with the WWE being PG, I almost want to yell at these 9 year old fucks for bringing a 619 sign to a house show.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Scott mentioned a sign on one of his rants once that said, "Gangrel Fears Count Chocula" That one always gave me a little bit of a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  42. "SUCK ME BEAUTIFUL" from WM X7. Was that a reference to something? Or just...you know.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yeah, American Pie 2.

    ReplyDelete
  44. amazing @ link. "Ryback uses store brand toilet paper".

    ReplyDelete
  45. During E&C's Reeking of Awesomeness era, had a front row seat and a sign "We are so totally front row" that got a mention in one of Scott's rants. Proud of that ;-) Columbus Raw in 2001, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Caliber_Winfield_69420BoobiesDecember 16, 2012 at 6:58 AM

    Yeah, American Pie 1.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Caliber_Winfield_69420BoobiesDecember 16, 2012 at 7:01 AM

    Real. I've seen the sign before during one of the older ECW shows.

    ReplyDelete
  48. The riot one dates back to ONS in '06 against RVD. And yes, it's a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Caliber_Winfield_69420BoobiesDecember 16, 2012 at 7:03 AM

    Dude, that sign made it to SummerSlam 2002. I kept thinking "Pork...pork...I've seen that fucking sign some where"

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm not sure if the sign came from the meme or vice versa, but I love Bork Laser.

    ReplyDelete
  51. King Booker version was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  52. You're absolutely right. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Caliber_Winfield_69420BoobiesDecember 16, 2012 at 7:18 AM

    I'm not surprised no one mentioned this. Since there's really no reason for anyone to have noticed it, but I always look for weird mistakes in movies/tv and random going-ons in matches I've seen a few times.

    During the main event of WMX7, there's a guy in the front row with a 'wrestlingfigures.com' sign. Well, after a little while a security guy shows up and takes it. Two minutes later, same sign, different color. A little while later, security shows up, takes it away. Few minutes later, same sign, different color. Security comes back later, and I see them take a handful, so I think he was finally defeated.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Caliber_Winfield_69420BoobiesDecember 16, 2012 at 7:20 AM

    Two was still good though. Had you mistaken it for the god-awful American Wedding, well, we would have had a knife-fight on our hands like the one from Beat It where our wrists are tied together.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Err that should be "pees" not less. Damn auto correct!

    ReplyDelete
  56. B..b..but SHIT EATING! ahuhuhuhuhuhuh

    God, that movie....

    ReplyDelete
  57. I noticed it too. That's dedication to your business.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Reading the sign explanations... wow, kinda out of date (and occassionally inaccurate). But still cool.

    (Mentioning Courtney Cox and wrestling, and missing the easy shot at her (now) ex; and saying that the person who killed Kenny would claim it directly... both not good.)

    ReplyDelete
  59. I remember being at a Raw and a guy was walking around with a sign that just said "Scott" and had an arrow pointing down at himself. For some reason, that made me laugh every time I saw him.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Caliber_Winfield_69420BoobiesDecember 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

    It was literally like the 3rd film was taken from the team that did the first two, and handed over to a team that had never seen either of the first two.

    I mean, what the hell was with omitting Oz? And the way they ramped up Stiffler's character was so God-awful. One of the worst sequels of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  61. The answer is "If Cena wins, we riot."

    What is the best sign ever of any era, no contest, one for the ages, Alex?

    ReplyDelete
  62. Sign read "turn Cena face" last year

    ReplyDelete
  63. I always thought it was funny when you had a bunch of guys get together and each would hold a letter spelling WHAT?!, but the 1st guy was out of the loop so you'd only end up getting HAT?!


    And of course you'd have the people who didn't realize their sign was upside down. Or had horrible spelling. Or both.


    My one friend hates with a passion when people bring signs to house shows.

    ReplyDelete
  64. My favorite sign... Which I brought to every NY area Raw and PPV from from 1998-2000ish was "Even Jesus Hates Eric Bischoff". I only got it on camera once though.

    ReplyDelete
  65. "Kevin Sullivan shagged X-Pac's mum".... one of the more random signs I saw when Nitro was filmed in London

    ReplyDelete
  66. No idea on favorite sign content, but I always love when someone gets one taken away by security...only to pull out a backup with the same content. Awesome

    ReplyDelete
  67. Real, and the fan felt horrible about it and Foley basically had to be like, "Dude it's cool..."

    ReplyDelete
  68. There were some good Rock ones with raisable eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
  69. "Ric Flair is God, Shawn Michaels is Jesus, Hulk Hogan is the Antichrist"


    Someone needs to bust out a BONZO GONZO

    ReplyDelete
  70. Ah, ok. I don't watch a lot of movie. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  71. That's both hilarious and really horrible at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  72. I can't remember which ppv it was, but there was some ppv in the early to mid 2000s where five guys held up signs spelling out P-E-N-I-S. They got their signs up for a split second before the camera angle changed. Not sure if that got taken out of the retail release or not. That one made me laugh pretty hard.


    I remember one that always urked me was a kid holding up a sign saying "Unlesh the Animal" instead of Unleash. The image of that kid holding up the sign somehow made it into a bunch of video packages back when Batista was first working as a face.



    I remember when HBK was making his comeback in 2002, there was a sign that said, "Jannetty was Better," which was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  73. He'll sock you one after you win the big one if he finds out you slept with his wife. So, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  74. My favorite sign ever, from latter-day WCW: "I like Potatoes!!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment