why wasnt mr wonderful on the wrestlemania 3 card? thanks
jim
I think he was taking time off due to having nerve damage in his neck so severe that he could barely use his arms, but you'd think he'd be back for the biggest payday of his entire life, especially when he'd been gutting out the Hogan matches for months. I have no better answer for you than that, I'm afraid.
He was the emergency backup if Andre couldnt go.
ReplyDeleteThreadjack: Anyone watching the TUF finale? This dude just finished a fight using the Benoit/Angle 3 Germans. It was sick.
ReplyDeletethat is the story I've always heard since Orndorff and Hogan did massive business right up to the Andre turn. I would assume being the backup still got him a payoff from Vince.
ReplyDeleteBet it came from a hotmail account.
ReplyDeleteDropped the other guy RIGHT on his head, and knocked him loopy on that last one. Watching it I had Tazz in my head, "Look at him pop those hips, Cole"
ReplyDeletePer thehistoryofwwe, Orndorff was out from March 20 until June 2, so yeah, the arm issue was probably it. I know he was supposedly Andre's "backup," but I have to think that if Andre was capable of even standing up, he'd have been sent out there. The hype was too great for them to do anything else.
ReplyDeletebiggest payday of his life? assuming he would have worked a midcard match.... would he have really been really paid more than during the time when he actually main evented cards a few months before (including "The Big Event")?
ReplyDeleteTUF?
ReplyDeleteActually there is a good chance that is a yes solely on how many PPVs WM III sold
ReplyDeleteUFC The Ultimate Fighter finale.
ReplyDeleteYeah, but he was wrestling right up to the event, it seems to me he could have been in a midcard match.
ReplyDeleteIf Orndorff was the backup if Andre couldn't go, is the assumption he would have beaten Hogan in the SNME cage match to set up the biggest rematch in history at the Silverdome?
ReplyDeleteThere were rolling Germans in a UFC fight, the fuck! Is there a link to a video?
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't rolling Germans but it was a close as your gonna get in a shoot fight. About a minute passed between the first and second German. But the 3rd came pretty quickly after the second and knocked the guy out cold. He was dropping the dude right on his head, it was sick.
ReplyDeleteChrist, I'm not even a casual UFC fan, just the guy who watches a fight every once in a while (usually at a steak house) and I HAVE to see this
ReplyDeleteThis is a gif of the third German that knocked him out.
ReplyDeletehttps://images.4chan.org/sp/src/1355619441606.gif
Nine days isn't exactly "right up before." Who would he have faced? I think the only reasonable option was Blackjack Mulligan. But sometimes there just isn't enough room for everybody.
ReplyDeleteBeaten Hogan? You mean by count out or some other schmooze ending, right? They didn't flippy flop the title in those days. Most likely, a heel beatdown of some sort is my guess.
ReplyDeleteOrndorff vs. Lanny Poffo would have been a pretty fun match and it would have even had a backstory to it considering that Andre destroyed Poffo at the Saturday Night's Main Event prior to Wrestlemania 3.
ReplyDeleteHave Orndorff do the Heenan Family's dirty work by finishing what Andre started and Orndorff would get to win in the biggest event ever and still look like a major threat to Hogan. That would have been a good scenario to go with had it not been for the neck.
It's amazing that guys like Mr.Wonderful had a what 3-4 year run with the company? Today, guys like The Great Khali and Hornswoggle are into their 7th years! The hell with 3 hour shows and bad booking, it's the stale as hell roster that kills excitement nowadays.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I can definitely see Heenan in the back, strategizing about how Andre can stop Hogan, then stopping himself and saying, "Y'know, we HAVE to finish what we started with Lanny Poffo. That's a threat that has to be eliminated." Poffo was a glorified job guy at this point. That's a match that would have been better served for Superstars or MAYBE Prime Time.
ReplyDeleteYes, while the actual TUF finale was dull, I LOVED that match and the Nelson KTFO of Mitrione.
ReplyDeleteHoly shit that didn't look fun
ReplyDeleteThat's some vintage AJPW shit right there, yikes :0
ReplyDeleteEven after with his post-injury limitations, the WWF could have gotten Orndorff massively over upon his return if they would have given him a midget sidekick called The Orndwarf. Kind of a proto-Hornswoggle.
ReplyDeleteThe advantage was there was other places you could go and make your money, People wouldn't get tired of you like that.
ReplyDeleteThat's not an E-mail..that's a tweet.
ReplyDeleteEither that or Hillbilly Jim. Jim trying to get revenge on Orndorff because he is Hogan's friend would make sense.
ReplyDeleteOverall it was a great night for the UFC. The seasons 16 finale fight was awful (fitting in with the entire season) but other than that every other fight was exciting start to finish and the right guys for the promotion won every fight.
ReplyDeleteBut the highlight by far was the Russian knocking someone out with a german. Highway robbery that he didn't get the KO of the night bonus for that.
Fun fact, that wasn't even the first time he's KO'd someone with a suplex. He KO's some poor dude with a belly to belly here. This guy might be something special.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yrk5G6M9R0
I like the idea of a schmooze ending. Just a bunch of dudes coming out to shit with Hogan and Orndorff until the ref throws the match out.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say I want to see that promo now. Because Heenan could have made that hilarious.
ReplyDelete