I'm not sure what I enjoy more about this match. The action, which is terrific, the fact that Earl Hebner is the referee...or just the ridiculous heat that Ricky Morton can generate in a match. If he wasn't a total mess I'd believe he'd have a lot to offer to some of these guys in terms of ring generalship, timing comebacks and just learning how to perfect the underdog role....unfortunately I think he's a total mess.
Still doesn't mean I can't enjoy his work from yesteryear. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Morton on NWA Pro in 1985. Enjoy.
Still doesn't mean I can't enjoy his work from yesteryear. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Morton on NWA Pro in 1985. Enjoy.
randy orton as MY wwe world heavyweight champion!
ReplyDeleteMy late grandma was always a fan of the song "What a Wonderful World" and so around Valentines Day, the grocery store near me was selling a dog stuffed animal that would sing about 30 seconds of the song,a few after seeing it, I decided to get it as a gift for her when we went to visit her. She loved it and as the years went on until her death, she said she listened to it everyday. It was eventually put in her casket with her body.
ReplyDeleteI believe this was the best gift I ever gave.
Good story. Nice gift
ReplyDeleteThanks, can't really think of the best gift I ever got though.
ReplyDeleteBack in 1988, my family went to Cedar Point. While we were there, my father bought one of those wooden signs that say "The (My Last Name) Family to hang on our camper during our long summer stay at the campground. When he passed in 1994, my mother sold the camper, and I never saw that sign again.
ReplyDeleteFast forward to 2011, the rehearsal dinner for my wedding. My mother handed me a gift, and it was that sign that I had remembered so vividly from my childhood. It was quite touching .
This might sound weird but at this point I don't really want or expect gifts. My gf will try and get me with sentimental value, which will be appreciated, but won't be anything to get super excited. If there's something else I really want, I'll typically just go get it if it's within reason.
ReplyDeleteMusings:
ReplyDeleteTony Schiavone is the inspiration for Anchorman.
Was Morton high on coke? He looks kinda wacked out here.
I never know what to tell anyone what I want for Christmas because I really don't want anything. Maybe it is because i'm older now.
ReplyDeleteDoesn't sound weird at all to me. I just got of the phone with my mother who was asking what I want. I told her to put the money she was going to spend on my wife and I towards something else for her grandkids, because we need nothing, and they are...well...kids.
ReplyDeleteStarrcade '97. I was so amped up, beyond belief. I wanted it so badly. Sure enough, in my stocking was an ad for it pulled out of the TV guide with a little note attached telling me it had been ordered.
ReplyDeleteI learned immediately afterwards that disappointment was far more powerful than the Christmas spirit.
This isnt a Christmas gift, but for my college graduation I received 25 here, 50 there. I didnt need the money, its just a usual gesture. So my mentor, a good friend of mine who is 10 years older than me, shows up. He hands me a check for 500 bucks. I could not believe it. Still can't, and that was 6 years ago.
ReplyDeleteMy stepson who was 5 at the time always liked to play Angry Birds on my phone and thus got heavily into everything Angry Birds last year and always seemed to associate it with me. For Christmas my wife and I would always let him choose what he wanted to get for the other person and for me he picked out this pair of Angry Bird pajamas which was a black t-shirt and these god awful ugly bright red pants with the black Angry Bird all over them. He told me that "I picked those because I know you like the black Angry Bird the best and you are my best buddy so I wanted to get you something that I know you will like!" oddly enough at that very moment my allergies started acting up and my eyes began watering forcing me to step away for a moment.
ReplyDeleteAs far as giving I think that saying X was the best gift I ever gave is for to arrogant, even for me.
Rock N' Roll Express matches were nonstop squealfests. It's simply amazing to listen to the reactions they got from NWA crowds.
ReplyDeleteMy getting out of the hospital and being home in time for Christmas. Any present I got was irrelevant.
ReplyDeleteBack in '90 my dad got hurt on the job and couldn't work. Although my parents did talk money in front of us, I knew things were tight and wasn't expecting much for Christmas. My best friends mom came through and got me and my brother Christmas presents. She got us the WWF ring with alot of the wrestlers, don't remember how many, but enough to book a card. Never will forget that.
ReplyDeleteOne of the most surprising Christmas gift I got wasn't even on Christmas. My grandfather had told me he was getting me an N64 when it came out as an early Christmas gift. I had my tonsils removed five days before the N64 had its release date. I come home from the hospital and I fall asleep right away. A few hours later I woke up, go to the bathroom and when I go back in my room there's a N64 sitting on my bed (with Mario 64). I was so shocked because the system wasn't going to be released for like five more days. My grandfather was behind me, I gave him a hug and sadly I couldn't SAY thank you, so I wrote it a bunch.
ReplyDeleteMy grandfather told me he went to Target to get my prescription, while he waited for it to be filled he was looking at the promotional set up for the N64. An older man who worked there asked him if he wanted one as they had them in the back. My grandfather said yes and got an N64 five days early. I'm guessing the older employee wasn't supposed to sell any but he didn't realize it.
I was very appreciative and so wanted to play it but that night I ended up getting a pretty high fever. I felt like shit, my dad was trying to show me how cool the 3d world was but I was burning up. Funny enough, the doctor called back and I almost had to go back to the hospital but his idea was for me to walk. So I walked up and down the street with my mom in the middle of the night and it actually brought the fever down. The next day I felt better and played the shit out of Mario 64.
Here's the story for the best gift I ever gave and how fucking infuriating it was!
ReplyDeleteYears ago, for my mothers Christmas present, I decided to get her a chocolate lab puppy. I went through Craigslist and found somebody selling a batch for $200 each. Contacted the owner and took my mom over to see them and hopefully pick one out. We get there and my mom absolutley falls in love with one of the pups. The guy at this point was really nice, telling her to take the puppy's in his backyard to play with it.
So after 45 minutes or so she was sure she wanted this one pup. So as she's playing with it I go up to the owner and said "I think we found a match, thanks" I hand him the $200, he counts it and said "it's actually $300" I took out my print out of the ad and clear as day it says $200, I show him this and he just responds with a big fucking smile on his face "oh, that's a misprint". I argued with him but I knew what he was doing and he wasn't budging.
I so wanted to tell him to fuck off but I saw my mom really liked the puppy. So I ended up giving him another $100, I told him "you're a real asshole" but he just smiled. I never told my mom about the emotional blackmail. And as much as it pissed me off, and still does, it was worth it since she loves that dog a lot.
Had just packed up my life and moved from Vegas to Tampa so my gf could be closer to her family and I could start med school. Had just broken up with this girl a few weeks earlier, was having a tough time juggling med school with life, was eating adderall like candy and was just in a really bad spot.
ReplyDeleteMy parents came to visit me amd saw I really wasn't in a good way. Before they left, they bought me a puppy and surprised me with it. It's still my best friend and never leaves my side.
I just thought of the best gift I ever gave, though that sounds horribly arrogant...
ReplyDeleteMy mother remarried about 8 years after my dad passed, and she married a great guy who is definitely someone I care for and respect. I was stationed in Oklahoma, and right before Christmas, his father passed away. He was quite distraught, so I told nobody but my ride from the airport, and showed up at the house a day later. He was so thankful to have his WHOLE family there that he broke down and cried, and told me that me being there meant the world to him. Truth is, I was glad to do it.
Without having knowledge of the situation I would guess that it's likely Morton was under the influence of some sort of recreational drug.
ReplyDeleteDoes you mom still have the dog? If so, I would borrow it for a night and go over there at 2 AM and have the dog take a big shit on that prick's lawn.
ReplyDeleteNo one would have looked down on you if you did cry. That's some cool shit.
ReplyDeleteDude, I would have been furious. What a fucking douche. Egging his house or car would have been a REALLY strong possibility.
ReplyDeleteNa, just give the dog some people food, then let him crap all over the lawn like what Curry said.
ReplyDeleteYep, she still has the dog. Good idea, this was three years ago so I don't even know if the asshole still lives there (or honestly if I even remember where the house is). At the time me and a friend were going to do something like putting something in his gas tank. But I figured the asshole would be able to figure out who did it and I didn't want any more drama over it.
ReplyDeleteLike I said below, I thought about it but I figured he would figure out easily who did it. I was fucking furious at the time, thinking back on it it still pisses me off. Such a scumbag thing to do. But even though he got over on me it was worth it at the end of the day as she loves that dog and the dog adores her.
ReplyDeleteHa, and it's a big dog now, labs can get big. So it could probably work up some huge craps.
ReplyDeleteQuick tip: if you want to put something in someone's gas tank use beach, not sugar. Causes a lot more damage.
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing you meant bleach? I also heard milk and vegetable oil work well in causing some damage.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting that every one of these stories revolves more around the story behind the gift you received than around the actual gift itself... I guess it really is the thought that counts.
ReplyDeleteYes, bleach, fixed it, the "l" and "o" keys stick on my computer. Sugar actually does nothing because it just dissolves, and I can't see vegetable oil doing anything either, it would just sit on top of the gas. Milk would thin out the gas enough to make it stall out (then again, so would water or any other beverage), but it wouldn't cause any damage to the engine. Having to get the tank dropped and drained out wouldn't be cheap though.
ReplyDeleteGod damn it, I don't like people calling me by my last name!
ReplyDeleteOk, sorry Adam, didn't know how you like to be addressed.
ReplyDeleteNo, it's cool, it's kind of a running joke between me and Farva (I think). But people calling me by my last name does irritate the shit out of me for whatever reason.
ReplyDeleteYour BOD moral of the day.
ReplyDeleteThat's usually how it works. The story behind the gift makes it more important.
ReplyDeleteSomething like that, I'd say you've earned the right to be a bit arrogant.
ReplyDeleteDrug(s), I'd reckon.
ReplyDeleteThree years later, he'd never suspect you were the one to egg his house. I'll chip in for a dozen. Asshole.
ReplyDeleteYou clearly bought a dog from a Ferengi
ReplyDeleteFlair put Morton over big time in their feud - from the "non-official" pin for interfering in Morton's match, to allowing Morton to pin him at the end of a six-man elimination match (and back then, Flair almost NEVER lost without an act of Congress). And the attacks Flair laid on him were heinous to the nth degree, and ALWAYS had the Horsemen with him.
ReplyDeleteI doubt he was ever going to be world champ, but MAN could he build sympathy.
My issue anymore is that anything I might want is too expensive to ask for as a gift.
ReplyDeleteThis thread may not have the most comments, but it has the most heartfelt comments.
ReplyDeleteSide note: When I asked him what he wanted to get his mom for Christmas he said "A TOOTHBRUSH!!!" and he would not waiver from this position so, sure enough he got her a toothbrush for Christmas.
ReplyDeleteNot exactly the best gift, but one of the most memorable: In yesterday's QOTD I mentioned how my ex's daughter walked in on me and her mother while we were... Anyway, a few years ago she (the daughter) gave me a little ceramic ice-fishing bear and a hand-painted ceramic frog. No matter what issues I have with her mother those are still 2 of my most prized possessions, right now I have them sitting on top of my 360 next to my TV in my bedroom.
ReplyDeleteI will never get involved with someone that has children ever again... it is far harder to be apart from them when it doesn't work out than I ever imagined it would be.
ReplyDeleteWorst gift is easiest....via an office exchange thing - Brut, by Faberge. Fuck me; this is why I hate secret santa shit in general, and especially with people I don't know and who don't know me.
ReplyDeleteBest I've received...man. I really don't know. Xmas hasn't been the same since my grandmother passed in 1994. I've gotten gifts of money when it was rather necessary, but amounts elude my memory. I can remember getting the first Rough Cutt album after seeing them open for Dio; that was unexpected and cool.
Really, I'm kind of difficult to shop for, because I'm pretty fucking fussy about what I like and if I really want something, I find a way to get it. I've been with my wife for almost 14 years now, and she can't really surprise me because I keep track of our finances. She used to get a sort of allowance, for lack of a better word - I'd just give her a certain amount of cash she could use for whatever without my knowing or having to worry about the budget, but that went away back in 2009 when I got laid off from a high paying job, and she walked away from hers in 2011 for health issues. We can pay our bills, but disposable income is pretty much nil - no empathy or sympathy is sought on this.
The best gift I've given...y'all know I'm a songwriter. My wife has had a few songs written for or inspired by her. Last year, I wrote a poem that has not turned into a song, but I printed it out and had it framed. She really liked that. She got a few books (she reads A LOT) and a movie or two, but the framed poem in our living room is cool.
Yeah, it sucks. I almost prefer to get involved with chicks that have kids though, most of them are a lot more stable and a lot less immature. Most of them...
ReplyDeleteMan its weird. I just turned 31 and have been in a monogamous relationship for the past 9 months but before that it was weird dating girls with kids. It just felt so "adult" to me. Such a hard adjustment going from the single free spirited to dating normal people with kids. I want to be 25 again
ReplyDeleteGoddammit Farva...now I'm all choked up with moist eyes at work. I'm SUCK A FUCKING SUCKER for dogs. I'll relate my best dog story as briefly as I can.
ReplyDeleteWe have 5 dogs; live out in the country with lots of space. The last one is a husky mix. Out of the blue, my wife called and said we needed to go to a specific humane society because she was sure there was a dog there for me. She said she had not looked online, or received a call; she just...knew. I knew better than to fuck with her when I knew she was serious, so she left work early and off we went. She maintains I put up more of a fight; I say I didn't. Either way, we made the drive.
I had wanted husky for a long time, but they generally aren't good with cats, so finding one was a big deal. He had only been out and available for adoption for 15 minutes when I walked in; short story is we left with him, though I fought it a bit because we had to take a different dog back to another shelter after it snapped at my wife 3 times and I was going to be on the road for a month. But, Wolfenstein has a happy husky personality. He didn't mind at all because no one had ever worked with him, and they told me that once he was loose in their exercise area, he was almost impossible to track down. After some play time and interaction with the dogs we had, I followed him into a fenced corner, and asked if was going to let me take him home.
He sat down and let me leash him.
So...yeah. Just thought I'd share that.
Wow. I never knew that. Thats really funny. I had a friend in high school who did the sugar thing to some dude who bullied his sister. He was SO proud of doing it but the guy was driving his car the next day. We all thought he was lieing about it.
ReplyDeleteStill laughing...pretty hard.
ReplyDeleteMisprint. On Craig's List. What a fucking assclown. That merits more than a paddlin'. That's an ass whipping.
ReplyDeleteMisprint. On Craig's List. What a fucking assclown. That merits more than a paddlin'. That's an ass whipping. Fucker.
ReplyDeleteI'm expecting my worst gift to come this weekend. I'm doing a Secret Santa thing with the reporters I supervise, and I invited them all to my apartment for dinner on Saturday. Anyway, because I'm the boss, a couple of people involved in the Secret Santa (there are six of us overall), came to me, asking for advice on what to get the person they picked. With those, I was able to figure everyone else out, too, including who picked my name. It wasn't the person I wanted to grab my name.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first and likely the last time I ever do a Secret Santa...
Nice.
ReplyDeleteYou suck a fucking sucker?
ReplyDeleteCry, you porn-peddlin' bitch. ;-)
ReplyDeleteGood story. I always had dogs growing up but during undergrad and a few years after never had one. Forgot how much i missed having one
ReplyDeleteThis dude in my development has this huge fucking husky. He made this belt with this long retractable leash so the husky cam essentially pull him on his bicycle. It was a pretty cool thing i though
I am glad you qualified that at the end.
ReplyDeleteI can't do it... I have barely missed her at all, I miss him a lot... and it has to be very confusing for him... not to mention I am the second father figure his mom hasn't been able to work it out with.
Again with the moist eyes.
ReplyDeleteSometimes. More into ice cream, as we've established.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know. Already fixed it.
I normally ignore typos... but that one was too funny
ReplyDeleteI bet you'll be surprised amd get something decent because 1) you're their boss and 2)sometimes with shit like this people will try and "win you over" and over compensate, especially if your their boss
ReplyDeleteIn this economy, that is damn right.
ReplyDeleteIt is allergy season you see...
ReplyDeleteI expected more "worst gift" funny stories but nome really stand out for me either as especially shitty.
ReplyDeleteAh, we're beyond the point of "winning over," we have a really laid-back atmosphere here, and we're all "friends" here (I use quotations because we all get along, but I doubt we would hang out without the work connection - if any of us leaves, forget it, I'll never see them again). So, we'll see. If I get a decent amount of booze (the gathering is BYOB and also bring ME beer, since I'm cooking), I'll be happy.
ReplyDeleteI always think of that episode of the Office where they did Secret Santa and they were supposed to stick to a $20 limit but Michael got an iPod and they do that thing where you can steal gifts from one another.
ReplyDeleteThat is a cool idea. I don't exercise mine as much as I should, particularly now during the winter. It's fucking cold out there. He has a good time running around on his own, but going on a disciplined walk or doing a job - like pulling something - fulfills a different need.
ReplyDeleteI have wondered about getting him a harness and myself a bike and letting him do the husky pull thing some, but any bike I buy wouldn't be cheap. I have to actually like it and it has to support my substantial frame. I do run our dogs around our yard while riding our mower - blades are not in use, obviously - and they dig that a lot. So, that's something.
My mom left my dad when I was two months old, and I made a conscious decision to never see him when I was 7 or 8. She never really got serious about a guy until I was out of the house; she dated some, but not much. As a kid, I obviously didn't get it. As an adult, I respect that.
ReplyDeleteBut in hindsight, she probably would have been much easier to deal with had she been getting fucked on a semi-regular basis. That dawned on me when I saw how happy she was once she remarried.
If anything, sugar in the gas tank would probably make the engine run a little better.
ReplyDeleteFunny story: when I was 17 or so this guy I knew wanted to stuff a potato in someone's tailpipe (which also doesn't do shit), so we drive over there and park around the corner. This kid hops out, and comes back about 15 seconds later with the potato still in his hand and gets back in the car. Turns out the car he was going after was a CRX with one of those mufflers that's bigger around than a softball. "I would need 4 or 5 of these to plug that shit up!"
Great episode. Love when he dresses up as Jesus to out do Santa...Think that's the same episode as the ipod one.
ReplyDeleteI give out bottles of booze for gifts to my good friends. Everyone loves it, plus ol' jobber123 usually gets a taste. If I had pot smoker friends who weren't dispensary members I'd get em some cool edibles or good weed but everyone I know is a member of some place or another. But alcohol always seems to go over really well.
ReplyDeleteI actually do take a pill daily to avoid occasional sneezing fits. Fucking thing apparently isn't working well enough on the watery eyes....
ReplyDeleteBest gift I ever got had to be that first NES as a little kid
ReplyDeleteJim trying to give Pam the teapot ended up being a crucial plot point like 6 years later in the final episode.
ReplyDeleteYou should've just walked. He would have broken down and taken the 200 most likely
ReplyDeleteLol. Now I'm picturing sticking a cantaloupe or head of lettuce into a tailpipe.. I always thought that the potato thing could do real damage until I saw them talk about it on mythbusters
ReplyDeleteI've never had a relationship with someone who had kids. It wasn't something I actively avoided; just worked out that way.
ReplyDeleteI would really like to know his reasoning on this.
ReplyDelete"Mommy needs a new toothbrush"
ReplyDeleteI think maybe he had recently gotten one or something.
Ok then. That really felt like a good joke/story was on the way. Apparently, it was just simple kid logic.
ReplyDeleteOh, I didn't even finish the story. I worked at a pizza shithole at the time, so we drove there and grabbed a dough ball, and went back and he put that in the tailpipe. I know it didn't do any real damage to the car, but having to scrape out a nasty ass blown up hunk of dough out of the muffler (or having to pay someone else to do it) amused the shit out of me. Nowadays I'm a firm believer that you should NEVER fuck with a man's car, back then I was young and stupid.
ReplyDeleteHe is good for that... once when his mom was yelling at him for doing something she said "YOUNG MAN WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!?!?!?!?" not being the least bit sarcastic he said "Andrew"... took everything I had not to laugh and undermine her.
ReplyDeleteIf I want something I already bought it. I kind of hate getting gifts. I act all excited opening shit up from my parents because I get the Xmas gimmick re:parents to kids but I don't give a shit. I tell my buddies alcohol/drugs/sex (not with them! Strippers/hookers/porn memberships etc) but I don't want to open up a fucking lawn ornament from them. I usually (always) end up loaning (giving) my gf money to get presents for my family and hers and despite my pleas for her not to get me anything she always does. She'll make a list of some clothes/ shoes/ stuff she wants so I can "give her stuff to open" but I'd prefer to skip the whose cheesy ritual and just give her cash (but I guess that's rude).
ReplyDeleteI'm not a Jesus guy and I'm disgusted by marketing and over commercialization so I'm probably more of a bah humbug type.
I'll be doing Xmas with my group of friends Saturday, and then either doing Xmas with my gf Sunday or the weekend after, and flying home Monday and staying till Friday where I'll do two family x-mas's. 4 different fucking gift exchanges...ugh its unbearable
Jim and Pam are easily my favorite TV relationship ever, and I got really mad at the final season, when they teased problems. If anyone deserved the happy ending without the typical TV couple angst, it was them.
ReplyDeleteLove unfettered honesty. I still do it from time to time.
ReplyDeleteI flew back to AZ in 2009. I wear suspenders instead of a belt because belts don't do me a damn bit of good. The ones I use have metal teeth that latch onto whatever pants I'm wearing. Airport security...first guy waved me through, but said they may set off the metal detector. They did. The woman working it said, while looking exasperated, "Why are you wearing suspenders?"
Me: "To keep my pants up."
I was NOT being a wise ass; it was simply an honest answer. She started to get ticked, but a coworker laughed, and that brought her down for whatever reason.
Unrelated note....I always have a knife on my person when in public. Obviously, that no longer works on an airplane. So, the last time I flew, I packed it. In my carry on. No one noticed, though it was an honest mistake on my part.
He seemed to be at least lucid in this shoot interview with Steve Corino.
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way. People say it's "not in the spirit" but for my friends I always go gift cards or gas cards. Not the most personal sshit ever but I'd much much much rather get something like that then another tie or house appliance I don't want amd just have to go through the hassle of returning.
ReplyDeleteI always try and pick out something nice for my parents but it's tough...I assume if there is something they really wanted, they'd have it already.
I honestly think it's just because they ran out of shit to write about. Those last few seasons really struggled at times
ReplyDeleteGod, Itd be so frustrating scraping out nasty dirty dough out of a muffler. Solid choice.
ReplyDelete"I'm expecting my worst gift to come this weekend."
ReplyDeleteThey wanted to know about Brooke also...
Yeah, I know what you mean.
ReplyDeleteThis is starting to get depressing. Here's a funny clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--g3PP3dfDo
Me too. 1985. It came with Hogan's Alley.
ReplyDeleteWorst gift I ever received was a Yahtzee SCORESHEET. Not the game...the fucking SCORESHEET. I didn't even own the game. What the fuck are you supposed to do with a Yahtzee SCORESHEET? Stupid 4th grade Secret Santa.
ReplyDeleteI've always told myself that if something were to happen with Mrs. Stranger and myself, I'm not going out with anyone with kids. Hard to do when all the single women your age are either weird or divorced with kids.
ReplyDeleteGod the nwa in the eighties fucking ruled!
ReplyDeleteI try to keep the HHH bashing to a minimum, but for someone who admires Ric Flair so much, he sure didn't learn a lot by showing ass. We make fun of Bret Hart being Bret Hart's biggest fan, but damn if Triple H doesn't surpass him in that category. He would never, ever let this happen.
ReplyDeleteI don't know what's better. The heat Ricky drew here or how Flair made him legit look like he could actually beat him for the title.
ReplyDelete