This came in from a "WAM82."
*edited from "funnest"
"Hi, I'm a fan of the blog but rarely post. Liking the extra non wrestling content to supplement the wrestling stuff and wanted to suggest a QOTD for you. What's the *most fun* thing you've ever done? Was it a trip, party, one night stand, etc.?"
*edited from "funnest"
Really? Can we get any lazier with these questions? "Funnest"?
ReplyDeleteDrove from South Carolina to Indiana, to Chicago, to St. Louis, to Atlanta, then back to SC. Went to 5 theme parks with my brother. Bonding time.
ReplyDeleteHey, some people can't think of all the hard hitting question.
ReplyDeleteWait,
ReplyDeleteYea. I wasnt even sure "funnest" was a real word but just cut and paste these in.
ReplyDeleteI remember the first double I hit in Little League, too. It was amazing, I...
ReplyDeleteWhat?
Oh, he meant... Right.
Nevermind...
Funnest. Isn't. A. Word.
ReplyDeleteIt's not
ReplyDeleteLike you when I first read it I thought it was asking about the funniest thing I had done.
ReplyDeleteWe get it Kyle!
ReplyDeleteUsed to save up and sublet a house during summer at the beach with my close friends during college. Pretty fun shit on the whole
ReplyDeleteHonest, non-trolling question: assuming it's true (big assumption considering it's Brutus), does that Rockers story change how you feel about Shawn? Cause I mean, if it's true... that's REALLY fucked up. Does finding Jesus negate it?
ReplyDeleteI have to agree, the "funnest" time was you getting to second base.
ReplyDeleteBuilding up my confidence to go on border line attractions at Disney World that should or should not be ridden by people with heart conditions like myself.
ReplyDeleteWhat's your heart condition?
ReplyDeleteTricuspid atresia.
ReplyDeleteHis heel character and on-screen persona has always come off as an entitled, ever since his run in Evolution. I have no idea if he's like that in real life, but on-screen he definitely comes of that way.
ReplyDeleteIt's a perfectly cromulent word.
ReplyDeleteThat's the complete absence of the tricuspid valve right? Glad you're healthy enough now to do stuff like that.
ReplyDeleteYeah absence, deformed, stuff like that. Funny thing is, I am the one that can walk around those places without feeling tired, while everyone else is tired in my party.
ReplyDeleteOf course right now, Splash Mountain is the limit for me.
But, they are the perfect way to create local opponents with already employed guys.
ReplyDeleteEagles season tix for awhile was the tits also.
ReplyDeleteIt's a general article about Orton with a brief description of his background. It's not intended to be a 1000 page biography with a minute-by-minute description of every single angle he's ever been involved with.
ReplyDeleteI noticed this, finally, during his recent matches with RVD. Rolling Thunder into an RKO was crisp as anything. Made me realise I wasn't paying attention and admit I was underrating him.
ReplyDeleteI agree with most of what you written but the main point that drove me crazy with Orton's main event push over the years is that he seems to constantly be made to feud with Triple H, more so than any other opponent then maybe Cena, and can never get the clean win over him. At least Cena has put him over clean, and in other feuds against different opponents where Orton only got the sneaky win at least he didn't find himself repeating the same process with the same opponent months later down the line. Hell I've only remembered all these examples of Trips seemingly screwing Orton over and over again due to the current storyline. I just wish they'd play the part of evil heel authority figures, back Orton and be done with it. The best work that Triple H as the Authority has done are the one-on-one interviews with Michael Cole on WWE.com and I wish he'd bring the same smarmy corporate heel presence to the opening segments of Raw.
ReplyDeleteReally it's just really frustrating as a fan to follow the current confusing storyline and to see Triple H as one of the main culprits as we all know he can be an awesome heel and show face to advance storylines and sell feuds (see his reaction to Foley changing from Mankind to Cactus Jack in the build up to their street fight at the Royal Rumble 2000).
Which I get, but those were each a key part of his character's development -- he tried to be a good guy and flopped (thanks to Helmsley), and the Legend Killer approach was the next successful step toward letting his outer (apparent) dickishness guide his character portrayal. Shoemaker's penchant for reductive writing, coupled with the markish tendencies mentioned elsewhere in the thread, are really hampering his work these days.
ReplyDeleteAnother serious question, I know Brutus over exaggerates his importance during this, but is he regarded by people as a bullshitter? If so, to what extent? Reading this, nothing really struck out as a huge lie but seeing the comments makes me reconsider.
ReplyDeleteThe only time Jericho got the better of a feud with Triple H is sadly on one of the story modes on one of the Smackdown games!
ReplyDeleteThis times a million. The authority figure trope is the absolute worst thing to happen to pro wrestling booking. It renders the people that fans pay to see/cheer/boo meaningless, because in the end they're always in service of some random jack-off in a suit that nobody is paying to see and who can't compete in a match. (At least compete in a match in a way that anyone cares about.) For all the praise that Vicki Guerrero has gotten for "being a great character" or getting fans to boo her... what great storyline or match has paid off because of her involvement? ANY? EVER? 50 different runs as a GM, and nothing useful has ever come out of it. Same for Stephanie/Coachman/Adamle/HHH/Maddox/Booker etc. All these authority figures, all this screentime, and nothing NOTHING that has ever paid off in a way that fans care about.
ReplyDeleteThe worst part though is that probably more than anything about wrestling that bothers us, this trope will never ever go away. It's Vince's (and HHH and Stephanie's) way of keeping their employees below them, because they can consistently book themselves as the real stars of the show. Nothing makes me more apprehensive about continuing as a wrestling fan than the realization that we're probably got a solid 20-30 years of HHH and STephanie— at different times heels, faces, or like their current incarnation "fakey heel face'heel heels"— as the dominant face of pro wrestling programming. Like, the debate on "is Roman Reigns the next face of teh company?" is actually pretty silly, because there is NO next face of the company. It's HHH and Steph and a gaggle of surrogate authority figures who are the actual stars of the show.
He was exaggerating how over he was before the face turn. Also, he didnt even get over at all until he won the belts with Valentine.
ReplyDeleteBesides that, nothing really else sticks out. About Warrior, he said that he couldnt replace Hogan and he really didn't, to be honest.
The stuff he said about Tully & Arn was his opinion. Whether you agree or not is one thing.
I doubt that's the worst thing the Rockers have done. In that era, in THIS BUSINESS, you will hear a lot, lot worse. To answer your question, he's copped to all of it and moved on with his life, so I don't see why the rest of us can't do the same.
ReplyDeleteThat sucks you had/have to deal with that but its good to hear you're doing ok with it. I guess you could say you have a lot of heart! Heh!
ReplyDeleteI never got that vibe from him. At least not to where it makes him stand out more than others. I've just interpreted more as him being a hot-head rather than being entitled. I think he holds the world record for most times breaking character in the ring.
ReplyDeleteno
ReplyDeleteI have to disagree about his mic skills. Randy 'what's my line' Orton only can get up to 'decent' on his best day. He is generally awful on the mic.
ReplyDeleteI didnt think I could be an even bigger HBK fan than I already was before today....
ReplyDeleteI wonder if this played a part into the HOF induction....
ReplyDeleteSee, I hear everything you're saying and my brain is all like "yeah, Devin Harris is right, Shawn has admitted he's made mistakes and has moved on, and is clearly a better person." That's why when I was skimming this recap I kinda glossed over that part and had to double back and read it again. My brain just processed it as typical Rockers shenanigans and moved on.
ReplyDeleteBut then I think about if this was an athlete/celeb I didn't know, would I be as forgiving? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Shawn just apologized to people in the wrestling business for being a jerk in general? That's different from RAPING MULTIPLE GIRLS AND SHAVING THEIR EYEBROWS AND DUMPING THEM IN THE HALLWAY NAKED.
I'm not trying to get preachy here, like I said I didn't really take the story that seriously at first. But just thinking about it I know I wouldn't be as forgiving to a chronic rapist who turned his life around through religion and just apologized for "being bad" if he wasn't a pro wrestler I loved.
No one here would ever say that pre-back injury Shawn was a saint. None of that actually surprises me, because he was always described as a bit of a prick.
ReplyDeleteHanging out with the Shield, Bryan etc has clearly rubbed off on him - he seems like he gives a shit about his in ring performances now and is miles away from the massive bore he was this time a year ago.
ReplyDeleteAlso I realised during his promo opening Raw on Monday that he's also killing it on the mic. I've done a complete 180 on the guy as last year I was suggesting they should fire him. Crazy.
Because of the bullshit.
ReplyDeletePretty much.
ReplyDeleteAs a wrestler, he's 99% clueless and a HORRIBLE source on damn near anything. As a sports entertainer... he can be entertaining. Or he can be the drizzling shits.
ReplyDeleteThis is the "troll" piece I mentioned that really annoyed me. It's basically a love letter to the McMahons for all their shitty booking.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9403783/on-wwe-troll-army-how-mcmahon-family-keeps-interested-pissing-off
You mean when he flops around the ring like an idiot waiting to hit the RKO?
ReplyDeleteHis pre-RKO moves is by far my least favorite thing in pro wrestling. Not even kidding. It ruins everything.
"Oh I'm about to win a big match...let me smack the mat for a few minutes first tho"
Personally, I'm not much of a moralizer. And if we look back on the wrestling business as a whole it would be hard to get any enjoyment out of it. That's not to say Shawn's a great guy, it's more like us as fans compartmentalizing cause we really don't want that curtain pulled back too far.
ReplyDeleteRe:Sapphire...
ReplyDeleteShe wasn't a mark 'thrown into the business'. She was actually a retired worker from the 70s.
I'm sorry, that argument doesn't hold water with me. Just because wrestling is generally a scummy business full of scummy people doing scummy things, that doesn't absolve anyone of those actions. And simply saying, "Yeah, I did some stupid shit." is different from actually admitting to what you did and trying to find some way to do right by it. Finding Jesus isn't enough. God made save your mortal soul, but you're still a terrible fucking person inside.
ReplyDeleteI'm not saying I buy Beefcake's story, because he himself admits he's had brain damage, but if true, then yes, it entirely changes my perspective on Shawn as both a person and a worker.
Because personally speaking it's my favorite year in wrestling.
ReplyDelete