Skip to main content

Greatest/Favourite Two-Counts or near falls?

> Hi Scott,
>
> What are some of the best near falls that you can think of? Like when you brought the preceding events as the finish or ones that had you leaping out of your chair in relief or frustration. Off the top of my head I think Undertaker kicking out of the tombstone at WM27 against HHH might be my favourite. Pretty much everyone in the arena buys it as the end of the streak and JR's commentary ("What did we just see?!") sells the moment wonderfully.
>
> Keep up the good work!
>
> Don Caboose

Hmm, you immediately stole mine. I'd also add Shawn kicking out of the tombstone at WM25, Hogan kicking out of the Rock Bottom at 18, and a bunch of Cena-Punk ones from MITB 11 that had me losing my mind.

Comments

  1. Attitude era...Survivor Series 1998...Shane counts to 2 for Austin, then flips the double bird.


    I was in high school, had about 10 friends over...we LOST OUR SHIT when that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WM 19 when Booker T kicked out of the Pedigr..... NEVERMIND!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WM17: Undertaker gets beaned over the head with the sledge hammer while Trips is up in the Last Ride position, No fucking way he was kicking out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hogan kicking out of the Rock Bottom then hulking up with the crowd absolutely losing their shit at WM18 ranks high for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. * Undertaker kicking out of the sledgehammer shot at X7.
    * Benoit kicking out of the turnbuckle bump --> Olympic Slam at the '03 Rumble.
    * Angle kicking out of the third Stunner at SummerSlam 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 in the same match... Shawn kicking out of the Tombstone blew my mind... like I still don't believe it... then 'Taker kicking out of the tombstone... when HBK hit it I told my friend the streak was over I was so convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kane kicking out of the tombstone at mania 14 blew my mind. I had never seen anyone kick out of the tombstone before. Same with hbk kicking out of the tombstone at 25.

    Another one that had me mark out was Punk hitting the piledriver on Cena during their raw match. It had been so long since anyone had used a piledriver and I wanted punk to win so badly that I totally bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taker kicking out of the super kick/pedigree combo at mania was nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first one yes. Streak didn't mean anything then and I was surprised as hell when 'Taker kicked out after being hit with the sledgehammer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at the Mania in Atlanta when Taker get out of the Tombstone. Some guy turned around and said to us "Well this sucked, but at least we got to see history and the streak end" All 80 odd thousand of us couldn't believe it.

    But that Super Kick Pedigree combo was something else.

    Or that one time Mic Foley kicked out of the Pedigree the first time only to get immediately pedigreed again on thumbtacks. Go stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would've bet money that sledgehammer shot at WMX17 was going to be the finish. The Streak wasn't anything big back then but I was still surprised Taker kicked out of that. I thought they were setting up HHH as the next challenger for Austin so I figured he'd get the win to build him up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. On the WCW side of things, I always loved the Goldberg kickout from DDP's diamond cutter at Halloween Havoc 98. I was 99% sure he was going to win but when Page hit the cutter, there was a little bit of me thinking, "are they actually going to put the belt on DDP?"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment