Skip to main content

The SmarK Rant for WWE NXT–02.12.14

The SmarK Rant for WWE NXT – 02.12.14

Happy Valentine’s Day! Or as most wrestling fans know it, Friday.

I have to say, I’m starting to get a real bad feeling about the direction of this show ever since the main WWE monkeys noticed that it’s a thing that exists and is airing on their new network. Nothing good ever comes from that, but hopefully it’s an aberration that ends once they get it out their system with the live show next week.

Taped from Orlando, FL.

Your hosts are Tom Phillips, Alex Riley & William Regal

Natalya, Bayley & Emma v. Alicia Fox, Summer Rae & Sasha Banks

Emma gets a sunset flip on Summer for two, and she runs away from Nat and brings in Sasha. Sasha gets a kick out of the corner, but Nattie takes her down with a suplex for two and follows with a dropkick. The announcers have a wonderfully wacky conversation about how Alex would marry Emma and take her last name, and Tom incredulously notes “She doesn’t have a last name!” That was pretty funny. Even better is Renee Young’s disgust with the whole deal, and then fawning over Regal immediately after. The characterization on the announce team is even better than most of the characters on RAW right now. The heels take over on Bayley and we go to a break. Back with Summer working Bayley over and Fox coming in with a lengthy facelock to build the heat, and Summer chokes her out while doing stretches on the ropes. Summer boots her down for two, but Summer fights back with a suplex and it’s hot tag Emma. Alicia wants no part of this action, but the BFFs walk out on her and the EmmaLock finishes at 12:05. Perfectly Acceptable Wrestling. **1/2

Aiden English v. Colin Cassady

Cassady slams English out of the corner while Regal now fawns over Aiden with a man-crush. “Look at his body…it’s like he’s carved out of ONYX!” And yet we still get JBL on two of the main shows. English misses a legdrop and Cass makes the comeback with the SAWFT forearm smash, but English takes out the knee and finishes with the Director’s Cut at 2:21. Cass should really do a running forearm and call it the SAWFT Touch. So English wins this feud, and it was fine for a time-filling deal. *

Sami Zayn joins us, and the Antonio Cesaro loss is EATING HIM ALIVE. So Mr. Cesaro comes out for his reply, and notes that Zayn can look forward to a great career…down here. (Crowd: “Oooooooooh!” What is this, a Chuck Lorre sitcom?) Sami reiterates how far back they go and how cool it is that Cesaro spends time in NXT when he doesn’t have to…but he’s kind of a coward for not fighting him. Cesaro is curious about the state of Sami’s knee, because he doesn’t want there to be any excuses this time. The crowd wants a pinky promise, so Sami obliges…and then Cesaro kicks him in the knee anyway and still refuses. And then HHH comes out and ruins all the fun by being deus ex machina and forcing Cesaro into the match. What a buzzkill. I watch this show to AVOID omnipotent authority figures coming out and making matches. See, this kind of thing is exactly what I mean by a bad feeling about the direction of the show, as they were having a great back-and-forth segment and then HHH came down from the mountain to just settle things for them like they were children or something. And isn’t JBL supposed to be the GM on the show? It’s bad enough we have to wade through the layers of fake authority figures on RAW as it is, now we have to add NXT to the giant convoluted flow chart that is the WWE chain of command, too.

Tye Dillinger v. CJ Parker

CJ gets a quick senton and airplane spin, and finishes with the Third Eye at 1:19. Just pull the plug on this guy already. Parker cuts an angry promo afterwards about how he recycles and loves the environment in his fuel-efficient car and the crowd is incapable of love. That’s a start. The angry pretentious environmentalist hipster douchebag is actually a surprisingly untapped resource for wrestling heels. I feel like a better direction would be if he started acting all passive-aggressive as well, but this is a start and at least it’s a real character.

The Wyatt Family v. I Dunno, Some Guys.

Harper finishes one of the geeks with a lariat at 0:50, as you’d expect. Oddly enough, the new episode of New Girl featured Jess’s sister…Abigail! COINCIDENCE? Probably. Or maybe THAT’S WHAT THE MACHINE WOULD HAVE YOU BELIEVE.

The Pulse

Man, HHH really harshed my buzz, as CJ Parker would say. OK show otherwise, although obviously they’re just going all in with the live special and basically cruising through the buildup to it.

Comments

  1. davidbonzaisaldanamontgomeryFebruary 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM

    Just to follow up on my RKO'd cat, turns out he was fine, he was just goldbricking the whole time, and as soon as I went to check on him one more time, he popped up, put me in the Ankle Lock, and grapevined it.


    I'm so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NXT is going to become a minor league version of Raw now. So, basically a WWE version of TNA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But did you tap????

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Girl has really jumped the shark, ever since the horribly unfunny Damon Wayans Jr. (is there any other kind of Wayans?) returned. The main problem is that they put their "Jim and Pam" together already, and now are floating aimlessly. More cast members is never the answer, though like Scott pointed out an aged Linda Cardellini is playing Jess' sister. Blurgh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really feels to me like they're setting up Dixie for a big fall in order to drum her out. I could be wrong, of course, but MVP's a much better 'face' for the show, and it's obvious. He radiates a star quality with ease, and it's boosted the shows. I guess that's why I don't mind the angle, mostly for his acting.


    Speaking of acting, holy hell can Joe Park cut a promo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't speak for Damon Waysns, but sue me - I'm a Leno guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me it's a case of which one ticks me off less.

    I'll go with WWE being better, but only because HHH has the potential to be an awesome heel at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently its only "Cesaro" now, along with just "Big E." Me too tarded 2 remember more letterz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved that bit. Looking back at some of his Abyss stuff vs. his Joseph Park stuff makes me appreciate his talents much more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotcha. The WWE angle is so confusing that it's introducing me to words I never knew existed. I had never known the word "abeyance" until I saw it on this website. At least with the TNA angle... I mean, I don't even watch TNA, but at least I can follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well let's see.

    Three gimmick matches combining to last about 20 minutes in one show, two of which were advertised with a total of five minutes' notice.

    Power struggle.

    Good chance of someone swerving MVP at Lockdown.

    One match to determine control of the company.

    As the fans once said:

    *clap 5x*

    Fire Russo!

    *clap 5x*

    ReplyDelete
  12. And HHH can actually job in the ring to blow it off, Dixie can't. Good counterpoint to the other reply, because Dixie ain't drawing shit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Winston has been overshadowed since the show began

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you hear about this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jay Leno is awful and unwatchable. I have no idea how people like him, let alone he remained more popular for so many years. The show is just so joyless, it's like watching a low-end joke factory come to end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and me, outside, RIGHT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "ANTONIO Cesaro? Since when has he had a first name?" - A Loyal WWE Fan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too much work. He should have just small packaged you for the pin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. He doesn't even make eye contact with his guests. Instead he stares at cue cards so he knows the next questions to ask. I've read appearing on the Tonight Show can be disarming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're right about Winston, and that's why Coach is unnecessary. It's one guy too many, and I didn't like them moving Schmidt out, albeit just down the hall. If Jess's sister recurs, that's another character too many.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's just an episode arc

    ReplyDelete
  22. ahaahahaahahahaha, Triple H jobbing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh, I'd rather watch a wrestling show booked by Rene Russo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I said it CAN happen, not it WILL happen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Apparently this
    was Jeff Hardy in a new gimmick."


    he used will o' the wisp for a long time before wwf, so it's actually one of his 1st gimmicks.


    in fact, when he left wwe in '03 or whatever, and before he went to tna, he showed up in roh as will o' the wisp and got the ever loving shit boo'd out of him

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was thinking about it and since TNA likes to steal storylines from WWE, I can't understand why they don't steal the good storylines. With all the new signings, this would of been a good time to introduce a new 3 man stable with MVP/Wolves or hell even Joe/Wolves and give them an undefeated streak for a year like the Shield.

    ReplyDelete
  27. "On top of that, a gimmick match is
    supposed to attract viewers, but that usually requires more than five
    minutes' warning."

    One of my biggest pet peeves in wrestling too and what annoys me is that creative really believes it'll draw in new viewers too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well I can see HHH jobbing but only to guys like Cena, Batista and Orton. Not to somelike like Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Willow reminds me of the Mad Hatter. Just on meth and hat-less.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Agreed. TNA's authority angle -- while it started out pretty rough -- has become a lot more focused, plus there's a clear chain of command. Dixie is the evil boss, Magnus is her corporate champion, Spud is their assistant, EC3 is their top enforcer, and when needed they'll recruit obvious heels like the Bro Mans or Bobby Roode or Bad Influence to provide extra muscle. (Unlike WWE's "Are the Outlaws with the Authority or not?" angle.)

    TNA's heel faction isn't acting like faces one week and heels the next, and the stories revolve around Magnus' championship rather than "Who is the face of TNA?"

    I'd prefer zero to very little on-air authority-figure stuff on TV, but since it seems unavoidable, TNA is at least making it simple. That's why Impact's opening segment this week was better (and got more crowd heat) than RAW's opening segment.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Clearly someone in WWE carries a dictionary around.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I how beloved is he in Mexico still? I feel like if the company wants to scout anyone from there, he'd be their guy.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anderson isn't bad playing the DDP/everyman character. Seems like he'd be the natural pick to challenge Magnus and Dixie's faction after Samoa Joe (presumably) goes down.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Daffney is what 40 with that look she's legit conserved.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Knew I'd seen that Willow video before! Watch as much as you can be bothered to of: http://youtu.be/-7LFM05IgZ8?t=4m1s

    ReplyDelete
  36. "Suspect is hatless... repeat.... hatless..."

    ReplyDelete
  37. Man, this should totally work. I remember when GI Bro set the world on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I thought this was a very fun, entertaining show.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment