Skip to main content

What the World Was Watching: Monday Night Raw - May 11, 1998

by Logan Scisco

-A video package recaps Mick Foley becoming the number one contender to the WWF championship last week.

-Jim Ross and Michael Cole are doing commentary and they are live from Baltimore, Maryland.


-Vince McMahon walks out and announces that WWF Champion Steve Austin will be in tag team action tonight.  Dude Love comes out wearing a suit and glasses, carrying a copy of the Wall Street Journal, and rocking a suit.  Love cuts a funny promo about his identity, nearly causing McMahon to corpse, and hugs McMahon.  McMahon proceeds to announce that at Over the Edge, Gerald Brisco will be the guest timekeeper and Pat Patterson will be the guest ring announcer for the WWF title match.  The guest referee does not show, so McMahon goes to the back and then soon re-emerges in a referee shirt.  Fun segment to kick off tonight’s show.  1 for 1

-Sable is shown arriving at the arena and she blows off Kevin Kelly.

-Footage is shown of D-Generation X reprising their “invasion” by going to WCW headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia.  Security doesn’t quite know what to make of them.

-Al Snow is shown arriving backstage with Head.  He is carrying tickets and Kevin Kelly informs him that he is not entering the appropriate part of the arena.  Snow berates Head for not directing them to the right arena entrance.

-Opening Contest:  Vader beats Barry Windham (w/Jim Cornette & The New Midnight Express) with a Vader Bomb at 2:07:

And here I thought the Undertaker’s squash of Windham sent him away for good.  Vader wrestles this match in a t-shirt and is not moving very well, but he still manages to shrug off some of Windham’s strikes and NWA interference to win anyway.  After the match, Vader takes out the New Midnight Express.  This keeps Vader strong for a mask vs. mask match with Kane at Over the Edge.

-Steve Austin’s appearance on premiere of MTV’s Celebrity Deathmatch is shown.  That show is how I knew wrestling was starting to become mainstream again.

-Austin’s Stone Cold Stunner on Pat Patterson on last week’s show is the Gastrol GTX Slam of the Week.

-Austin is shown arriving in a vehicle backstage.  Kelly informs him about the roles of Brisco, Patterson, and McMahon in the title match at Over the Edge and how he has been booked in a tag match tonight.  Austin is not happy and goes looking for McMahon.

-Skull (w/8-Ball) beats Hawk (w/Animal & Sunny) with a small package after an illegal switch at 2:30:

Considering the participants, this isn’t bad as both men do some power moves and brawling until Hawk flying out of the ring on a shoulder thrust in the corner allows 8-Ball to switch places with Skull and chalk the win.

-A video package recaps DX’s altercation with law enforcement at CNN headquarters.  They appear to be quite popular with the average person there.

-A brief Edge vignette where it is announced that he’s the person of our dreams is shown.

-Bradshaw and Taka Michinoku are shown smoking cigars earlier in the day and Bradshaw gives Michinoku a driving lesson.  When they return to the arena they are attacked by Kaientai.

-Faarooq (w/Steve Blackman) beats “Double J” Jeff Jarrett (w/Tennessee Lee) via disqualification when the Nation of Domination interferes at 1:52:

Faarooq finally has some unique entrance music, but it just sounds like generic hip hop.  Blackman beats up Jarrett several times when he ends up outside of the ring and when Faarooq gets ready to finish Jarrett with a Dominator, the Nation interferes.  In the ensuing brawl, the Nation beats down Faarooq while Jarrett destroys Blackman with nunchucks.  You can’t say they aren’t trying with this Jarrett-Blackman feud and considering Blackman’s lack of mic skills, this is about as good as we were going to get.

-Call 815-734-1161 to get your Steve Austin “You Wanna Raise Hell?” t-shirt for $25 (plus $6 shipping & handling)!

-WWF Champion Steve Austin comes out and demands McMahon come out to tell him what is going on with his booking tonight.  McMahon appears on the Titantron with Patterson and Brisco and they refuse to give him any information.  Just a generic segment to continue the storytelling for tonight.  1 for 2

-A spliced together compilation of Val Venis’s vignettes are shown.

-Jerry “the King” Lawler comes out to do commentary for hour two.

-The next scheduled segment is the Marc Mero-Sable bout (or “public confrontation” if you prefer).  Sable gets on the mic and tells Mero that she didn’t think it would come to this and Mero responds by picking her up for a TKO and then setting her down.  Mero demands an apology for Sable trying to ruin his career, but Sable responds by giving him a low blow and a Sable bomb.  Jim Cornette’s 1997 Timeline shoot ranted about this segment and Steve Austin scrapped a planned program with Mero over it because he did not want to take offense from a guy who was just beaten by a woman.  That aside, this got a huge reaction from the crowd and was entertaining.  2 for 3

-The Undertaker comes out after Lawler based on Lawler’s interaction with Paul Bearer on last week’s show.  The lights go out before the Undertaker can Tombstone Lawler and Kane and Bearer walk out.  Bearer promises that next week he will prove that he is Kane’s father.  After Kane and Bearer go back to the locker room, the Undertaker Tombstones Lawler.  This shows why the Attitude Era was great because the Undertaker going after Lawler immediately after the Sable-Mero segment happened out of nowhere.  3 for 4

-Al Snow comes out of the crowd with Head to do commentary duties with Jim Ross.  Security, directed by Pat Patterson, removes Snow, who demands to see McMahon.

-DX delivers a “parting shot” to CNN headquarters by blowing it up (computer generated of course) with an artillery gun.  Live in the arena, DX comes out and X-Pac tells Eric Bischoff to suck it.  DX runs through their usual promo spots before Owen Hart appears and announces that “Enough is enough and it’s time for a change.”  Owen brings the Nation of Domination with him to fight DX.

-Chyna’s participation in last week’s eight person tag match is the 1-800-COLLECT Rewind segment.

-Jim Cornette replaces Lawler to do commentary for the rest of the show.

­-Non-Title Match:  Triple H (European Champion w/D-Generation X) wrestles Owen Hart (w/The Nation of Domination) to a no-contest at 7:07 shown:

Owen’s alliance with the Nation makes sense in storyline terms because he needed a crew to back him up against DX and their constant interference in his matches.  Owen, Kama Mustafa, and D-Lo Brown of the Nation are booked to face DX in a six man tag match for Over the Edge as well.  Chyna’s crotching of Owen on the top rope nearly sparks a brawl between the two factions and Commissioner Slaughter allegedly puts an end to the bout.  Hey Slaughter, why didn’t you just send everyone to back BEFORE the match like you usually do?  This is one of the reasons that running authority figure stories like this never work out from a logic perspective.  I thought they might give Owen a cheap win here since he has a new factional alignment, but it was not to be.  The match showed that the crowd was digging the early stages of the DX-Nation feud, though.  Rating:  **½ (4 for 5)

-Dustin Runnels comes out with his Goldust attire and tosses it into a barrel by the entrance.  He proceeds to set it on fire and then cuts a promo where he says that McMahon took his dignity away with the Goldust character.  McMahon was everyone’s favorite whipping boy at this time.  A storyboard for him would have tons of lines all over the place.  Runnels says that the Goldust character is dead.  This had a lot of shock value at the time, but since the Goldust character was eventually reprised (like Jeff Jarrett ripping his country gimmick and going back to it) it didn’t matter in the long run.  4 for 6

-Handicap Match:  Kaientai (w/Yamaguchi-San) beats Terry Funk & 2 Cold Scorpio via disqualification when Taka Michinoku & Bradshaw interfere at 3:09:

I know it’s Terry Funk and all, but does it make a lot of sense to have him wrestle a week after he was “destroyed” by Mick Foley?  This is Kaientai’s in-ring RAW debut.  The height difference between Kaientai and their opponents always caused me to think that they didn’t have much of a chance at winning their matches.  The referee doesn’t care that Kaientai never tag and all stay in the ring at the same time and eventually Michinoku and Bradshaw run out to drive Kaientai off.  This is the first loss for Funk and Scorpio.  The match was not a conventional tag match and the flow of it was messy.  Rating:  * (4 for 7)

-McMahon is shown talking with Austin’s mystery tag team partner in the locker room, but we cannot see who it is.

-Al Snow tries to re-enter the arena, but security refuses him entry.

-“Stone Cold” Steve Austin & Vince McMahon (w/Gerald Brisco & Pat Patterson) wrestle The Rock & D-Lo Brown (w/The Nation of Domination) to a no contest when McMahon attacks Austin at 8:28:

McMahon names himself as Austin’s mystery partner making this a de facto handicap match.  Austin decides to wrestle it like No Mercy on the N64 by hitting anything that moves, including Brisco and Patterson.  Instead of giving a hot tag to McMahon after avoiding a Lo Down, Austin gives McMahon the bird.  Austin gives Brown a Stunner, but the Rock breaks that up and McMahon clotheslines Austin.  Brisco and Patterson join in the beat down to end this match, which did a great job sustaining heat.  **½ (5 for 7)

-After the bell, Austin beats back McMahon and the stooges only to have Dude Love run in and tackle him.  However, Dustin Runnels and D-Generation X run into the ring to brawl with Love and the Nation and the crowd’s loud reaction to all of this plays us out.

The Final Report Card:  RAW continues its streak of having lots of wild and unpredictable action as Austin gets held from some unlikely sources to beat back Dude Love and the Nation of Domination at the end of the show and the Undertaker destroyed Jerry Lawler.  D-Generation X’s “invasion” of WCW headquarters was pretty funny, although it was nowhere near their “invasion” of the WCW card in Norfolk, Virginia prior to this show.  The deck has been stacked against Austin for Over the Edge and the rest of that card is starting to come together with Vader being booked against Kane, DX fighting the Nation, and the Rock defending the Intercontinental title against Faarooq.  Excellent storytelling this week in all of the big angles and the crowd’s reactions throughout the show are a testament to that.

Monday Night War Rating:  4.3 (vs.4.3 for Nitro)


Show Evaluation:  Thumbs Up

Comments

  1. Amsterdam_Adam_CurryApril 8, 2014 at 2:30 PM

    Had he broken the streak it's pretty likely he wouldn't have walked out, but we'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The money move now is to have hhh "make a deal with the devil" and align Brock with the authority and go bryan vs Brock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I completely disagree that Brock wasn't the right guy, but re: build try to think of one angle they've booked that was good recently? I mean do you think it would have been better if taker and Lesnar swapped wins on TV before mania, or became a whacky tag team for a week, or do you want Brock to have stolen undertakers car? Do they fight over Vickies love? No matter what they did, everyone would have hated it. At least this way it was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amsterdam_Adam_CurryApril 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM

    Said it before, will say it again: the collective "What the FUCK?" look on the faces of 75,000 people was the greatest thing I've ever seen.


    Later on dickheads, I'm off to work. If they didn't save me a stuffed haddock I'm gonna be pissed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully the move will be to run Bryan and shield vs evolution for a couple months and then transition Bryan to a feud without evil authority figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amsterdam_Adam_CurryApril 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM

    Randon TJ: Gino Auermia or whatever the fuck his name is is such a douche that he actually has me pulling for Notre Dame. In a fucking women's basketball game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how there's only enough talent to for one school in that sport.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Basically making it a super-title that's only defended at Mania? I dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amsterdam_Adam_CurryApril 8, 2014 at 2:39 PM

    4 schools, Baylor and Stanford are really good too. Also, Ruth Riley was on SportsCenter earlier, and she looks great.


    Allright fuckos, I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The problem is getting there, that involves another four months of Authority/Bryan before Brock will grace us with his presence to draw seven hundred million people to subscribe at Summerslam.


    Though they could do it if they go with Shield and do some stip matches will all the guys across the summer, I feel like a full year of Bryan vs. Triple H and his avatars would push it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baylor was good with they had juwanna man play there but are they still good? (Not rhetorical, I really don't know)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't Taker and JBL tight? He might've clued him in ahead of time the way Austin told JR before Mani 19.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've purposely avoided this place since Saturday since I knew I wasn't going to be able to watch WM and Raw and didn't want spoilers. ..

    What was the initial reaction to Brock beating Taker?

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Mr. Overdraft" Jef VinsonApril 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

    Shock.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah that's the problem will filling so many hours of content per week. But for now at least we have some hope of some good shit going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM

    And yeah, actually one match sells the vast majority of a wrestling show. It's called the main event. (It's kind of an old concept.) Brock Lesnar's main event match absolutely sells whatever show he's on now.


    You're imagining tepid boos and silence for the Brock/Heyman segment. But totally keep saying that.


    Also, continue to keep ignoring the need for special attractions with your whole "he never wrestles" bullshit. He wrestles 3 times a year. WWE needs special attractions to help sell the Network at 2 huge key time periods a year. Having Brock break teh streak absolutely makes him a bigger special attraction, and therefore helps their business strategy.


    And at some point he puts over an everyday roster guy like Reigns, and makes that guy a bigger star... without Reigns having to have a portion of the audience always hating him for ending the Streak.


    But again, continue to ignore that main events sell big shows, and that ending the Streak makes Brock a huge special attraction that can sell shows 3 times a year, and that WWE's PPV model now revolves around selling subscriptions 2-3 times a year, and that ending the streak could have been an albatross for an everyday roster guy like Reigns (especially if they ever want him to be a lead babyface), and that Lesnar can still give a huge rub to Reigns or Cesaro or Bryan when he loses to them, and that Heyman/Lesnar's segment actually had tons of crowd heat.


    Please, continue to ignore that and say whatever you're saying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Mr. Overdraft" Jef VinsonApril 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM

    So you're saying we're talking about what happened for no reason?

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/untitled-15.gif?w=1000

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well for one, I wouldn't have started it off with a pen stabbing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Trust me, I thought it was hilarious, and I thought the ending was genius. However, everyone else was "done with wrestling".


    I didn't care, I had been sick of Taker and the Streak since Wrestlemania 26.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 2:51 PM

    Yeah, I think the way to go is keep Brock and Bryan apart until after Summerslam. They can easily run Bryan vs HHH/Orton/Batista through Summerslam, ending with him beating Batista.
    At the same time, set Brock up with a "revenge on Taker's behalf" Summerslam match with perhaps Cena or Sheamus or—in a never gonna happen dream case—HBK.


    Bryan retains at Summerslam, Brock kills an uppercard face, and then set up Brock/Bryan for either the Sept PPV or the Rumble or something.


    Brock wins title, and then either Roman (probably) or Bryan or Cesaro wins the Rumble and beats him at Mania 31.


    BOOM.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "I don't care that the Streak ended, I care that they gave that rub to someone that paying fans don't actually ever get to pay to see. (Though to be fair I am ignoring the 675,000 people that signed up for the Network to see Brock at Mania!)"

    This

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh for sure, the Shield being on Bryan's side changes everything and I can't wait to see (Wargames) where they (Wargames) choose to go with (Wargames) it in the future.


    I'm just not sure if I want to see it all summer long, that's all.


    It will be interested to see when they feed Bryan to Brock whether or not he has the title anymore. I'd think they'd have him lose it to Batista first, which kind of makes the Brock match have no purpose. They can't really let Brock take the championship then hold it in absentia for five months can they?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah, you could tell JBL knew.

    ReplyDelete
  25. He will never live that down.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 2:53 PM

    Bryan vs HHH since the Rumble has been booked really, really well. And then last night kicked the whole Bryan vs Authority feud into "holy shit this might be awesome" levels.


    Obviously it wasn't their original plan, but since the Rumble they've showed that they CAN book an excellent old fashioned wrestling angle.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It'd be so funny if Brock refuses to resign and pulls an Ultimate Warrior before each of his 3 matches in 2014

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think we all know the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The people that are saying stuff to the effect of "Undertaker decided to end the streak so it is the right move"... I'm sorry but that isn't a justification. I am not saying it was a good decision or not, I haven't settled how I feel about that yet... but "Because Undertaker decided it was time" is not justification enough.

    I don't watch this or any other type of entertainment to satisfy anyone but myself if I wasn't entertained I am going to say so (likewise if I was) someone else may agree or disagree, but I don't give a fuck. This comes up a lot when I say how I don't dig the non violent nature of today's matches; I hear "It is aimed at kids, you aren't the target audience" again... basically saying I should watch it as if I was the target audience and try and enjoy it from their perspective? No fuck that, I am not a kid and I am not going to try and enjoy it their way.

    Furthermore wrestler don't have an objective point of view on what is right and what is wrong in wrestling. Ask a wrestler to name someone they think is great in the ring and they will name someone that they find easy to work with, doesn't stiff them etc... not necessarily the best worker/ who is "best for business". It could be argued that ending the streak wasn't best for business (again not taking a stance either way) and ending it just because Undertaker wanted to isn't sufficient reason (despite all that wrestling respect nonsense) so while his opinion should absolutely be considered he should not have final say. It is not "His streak" it is the streak of an employee of WWE.

    TL;DR? It shouldn't be up to Undertaker to decide when the streak is over. You shouldn't watch things for what other people might enjoy, you should only worry about what you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I honestly don't think the announcers were clued in. They usually like to have their real reactions for big moments like that. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even tell Heyman. He looked pretty damned shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  31. "everyone else was "done with wrestling"

    I've been purposely avoiding SquaredCircle on Reddit (which is occasionally enjoyable although getting more obnoxious by the day) since Sunday for this very reason. If I had a dollar, nay, a nickel for every time a wrestling fan said "I'm done with wrestling" only to come back within a month or less, I would buy this blog from Scott and make every post photos of Jayden Jaymes doing squats in yoga pants.

    ReplyDelete
  32. "his shows why the Attitude Era was great because the Undertaker going after Lawler immediately after the Sable-Mero segment happened out of nowhere."

    Yep. These years were pretty much the perfect combination of unpredictability and forward momentum. Everything felt completely spontaneous, yet purposeful. Everybody on the roster had something to do, regardless of how minor it was, and everything on the show felt tied together. Feuds were intertwined, characters were referenced by other characters that weren't in direct feuds with them at the time, it felt like a coherent universe where actions created (albeit over-the-top) reactions and consequences that pushed events forward up and down the card.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It would serve them right. They know shit like that is a risk with him.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Not to mention the fact that the guy they had beat the streak and give the rub to is a guy with a year left on his contract, which will make it hard for them to really put him over strongly anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree. The build was kept simple, and almost quiet, like they didn't want us to think about it too much... then BOOM. Had the streak been broken next year by Cena after a long build/tease, it just wouldn't have been the same. It's the "foregone conclusion" part that made it such a monster shock.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yea, I got you sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I personally have NEVER had a problem with the part time wrestlers. So I'm perfectly fine with Brock doing this, leaving for 3 months, then it's gonna be a big fucking deal when he comes back around SummerSlam.

    ReplyDelete
  38. He's an independent contractor though. Not an employee

    ReplyDelete
  39. If Bayless put me over at BoD mania, I would have poured booze and drugs down your throat until you forgot about that

    ReplyDelete
  40. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM

    Well the build absolutely sucked, so there's lots of way it COULD have been booked better. They could have given Taker a reason to actually want the match. Perhaps he comes out that first night, actually mentions that Brock beat him in the Cell and how that one loss has haunted him ever since. Boom, now Taker has motivation that is part of the storyline.
    Then actually give Brock a reason why HE wants to end the Streak. Fuck it, go all "reality era" and have Brock/Heyman say how after they end the Streak, Brock will be worth more than ever to WWE. Brock's ending it for the money, throw it fans' faces.

    Lastly, the physical build was all off. It should have been 3 weeks of Taker trying to attack Brock, but Brock laying him out each time. Make the storyline be "Is Taker finally past his prime? Is this the end?" rather than "Watch Taker do the inevitable to someone he's obviously stronger than." That build feeds right into the storyline of the match, and then holy shit it makes the moment when Taker loses even that much more poignant. (Because the build up was true.)

    Now, COULD they have done such a build well? To me, the ability is there. I thought the Bryan/HHH build since the Rumble was done perfectly, so they know how to book a wrestling feud when they really put their minds to it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. But both times Taker had the advantage during the build, it was by surprise. For example, Brock handed Taker the pen for him to sign the contract. He didn't expect for a second to be stabbed in the hand. Then the next time, a bunch of casket mind games where Taker took him by surprise again.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Man, I stay away for 3 days and everyone's opinion goes to hell. Petulant children!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Make him get you a side too! I'm worried just pizza won't be enough. I like a nice side salad or maybe some garlic bread! And don't forget a drink!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Brock has the best deal in history!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Pics or STFO

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ok, so just watched mania in full for the first time. Such an odd show. Def has some memorable moments but no GREAT matches. I liked it but I don't feel "satisfied" if you know what I mean

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'd rather see someone other than Bryan headline Mania 31. He's had his moment.

    ReplyDelete
  48. My section had multiple pockets of PISSED OFF people... between "Why?". "The ref was crooked/fucked up", and " BULLSHIT!"

    ReplyDelete
  49. Okay, I just watched part of the WMXXX replay on the Network, and because I'm a dirty old man at heart, I watched the Divas match to see if there was a boob-flash. You can see Cameron (or whoever it was) with her top coming off, but no flash. Did they edit the flash out, or did it never make it to camera?

    Hey, this is IMPORTANT SHIT.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM

    I dunno, I think the whole "Brock has one year left on his deal" or "What if Brock walks out" stuff is a whole lot of nothing. He's working his DREAM deal, which is lots of money to work 3 times a year. He's what, 35, 36? Dude's in his wrestling prime for the next 4-5 years. And there's nowhere else that he can make this kind of money— his days of real competition is over.
    I just don't see the risk. Brock's as safe a bet to be drawing money for WWE (if that's what WWE wants) in 4 years as anyone else on the roster.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I would do her a lot of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Like a petulant child.

    ReplyDelete
  53. If you don't consider Daniel's 2 matches a Great, then I'm not sure I can help you.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM

    You wouldn't say Bryan/HHH was great?
    Did you know the results beforehand?

    ReplyDelete
  55. They were good. Nothing I'd consider "great"

    ReplyDelete
  56. I can't see AJ sticking around now that she's engaged to Punk. When's her contract up?

    ReplyDelete
  57. No, purposely stayed away from here just son wouldn't get spoilers. It was good, nothing I'd say great tho. 3.75-4 ish if I had to quantify

    ReplyDelete
  58. The 3 way seemed like it took forever

    ReplyDelete
  59. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:14 PM

    NI-MAN-YA!

    no clue what she's actually saying, but that's what it sounds like to my ears

    ReplyDelete
  60. He and the "it's still real to me DAMMIT!" guy should get ringside seats comped at any show they want.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Both D-Bry matches were great. The Shield destroying the Outlaws was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM

    thats what she said


    and that's what the other she said

    ReplyDelete
  63. I really thought, backstage politics wise, that the only 3 people that had a legitimate shot at breaking the streak were John Cena, The Rock, and HHH. I never would have believed they'd let him break it to Brock. Hell, I would have even believed Shawn Michaels over Brock. I guess Taker and Brock's friendship was a bigger deal than I thought.

    That said, I still think Taker's going to wrestle one last match. Whether that's with Sting at 31 or otherwise, there'll be a farewell match at some point. He may not be physically up to it, but they'll want to do a retirement match. The thing with Taker is that he doesn't really have a definitive opponent. Austin had the Rock. Hogan had Andre. Flair had Sting/Hogan. Bret had Shawn. Taker doesn't really have that one defining guy.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Brock has what he didn't have 10 years ago - a favorable schedule, more leverage, and a metric ton of cash. No, a LITERAL ton.

    He's not stupid. This is about the easiest money he's made like, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  65. And this wasn't funny.


    The three-way was great. The false finishes, HHH's interference, the table bump, stretcher job...it's wrestling 101.

    ReplyDelete
  66. They backed into hhh vs Bryan though. I'm of the opinion Orton vs Batista was the original plan and Bryan was getting twenty minutes with sheamus (fine for any other ppv but are you kidding me wwe for wm30?), and that's even with this staring them in the face since summerslam. But yes they did deliver, with a huge assist from an unruly fan base.

    Other than that angle what have all these writers done? Heyman vs punk was great because those two guys spun some real gold but that shit went on for ever. How about that great Dolph/Aj/big e angle? Did you enjoy major star sheamus coming back with zero build or story? What about that epic feud with Christian where they wrestled every show? How about the mix and ziggler teaming up as disgruntled Cleveland wrestlers? The follow through was amazing! What about bringing Batista back as a face and having him hug hhh and steph on his first show back? Or that Del rio vs Batista feud? How about that awesome angle where the authority fired cody Rhodes and they brought him back and made him a bigger star than ever? Didn't like that one, then what about sandow winning the mitb and having that match or raw with cena? That was a sick build and now sandow is a huge deal! Or how about the outlaws beating the Rhodes for the tag titles so Cody and golddust could work a battle royal and the outlaws could get squashed. Or if I'm being unfairly recent, how about those awesome builds for punk vs undertaker at wm29 where punk won a four way match to wrestler undertaker? Or what about the cena vs rock sequel? That was a sick build.

    My point is this. There's no chance what they did would have been any good, so at least it was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Harlan Leverage IIIApril 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM

    I love that show-opening Foley promo, to a degree that is almost frightening. I don't care that nobody knows where it's from, I frequently drop "I'm a leader of men, a lover of women, and a surprisingly good dancer for a big man" into random conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I wonder if no one will care 2 months after she is gone like Punk as well.

    ReplyDelete
  69. But is he though? Kane to me was never a big enough star to stand at Taker's level as an equal.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM

    who exactly are you directing the 2nd part to? the 1st part is your typical obsession with me, while the 2nd part has nothing whatsoever to do anything i said

    ReplyDelete
  71. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM

    Oh man, just agree to disagree. I absolutely loved Bryan/HHH, thought it was HHH's best match since 2000. Great pacing, both guys busting out new stuff, amazing crowd heat, HHH and Steph giving a master class in heeling, and a hot finishing sequence. Loved it.


    As for teh triple threat, I thought it was all gold from the point that HHH/Steph arrived. (Man, those two were great all night.) The table spot was sick, I bought the "Batista pins Orton" false finish, and again it was a perfect pro wrestling story.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Ouch, seems odd one would take that so personally...

    ReplyDelete
  73. Someone above said the three-way wasn't great.


    Below, I said why I thought the three-way was great.


    Who on earth could that have been a response to?

    ReplyDelete
  74. Dude has a host of flaking out. Sure it's a better deal than what he had but this is the same company that had him lose his return match to Cena...hardly screams that the come has full faith in him.

    ReplyDelete
  75. He's the guy most associated with The Undertaker besides Bearer. I mean they fought each other about 1,000 times

    ReplyDelete
  76. Oh, I'm totally in agreement actually. I wasn't slamming that perspective by any stretch. I think that's the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  77. They're all in Jan/Feb. If I had to guess, the build to RR/WM is usually their hottest time period. But that's just an uneducated guess.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM

    then respond to them instead of tacking it on to your usual stalker post

    ReplyDelete
  79. This is the first time I've responded to you since you had your bi-monthly NO GIRL LIKES ME WAHHHHH meltdown.


    Your post sucked. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  80. Hhh vs Daniel Bryan was off the hook. I completely disagree. That was a ****1/2 classic. The main event I'll have to see again but it was no worse than 3.5

    I thought the cena match and the taker match were less than *** though. So it'd definitely not some all time great card, but I think db brought the goods.

    Also did you see the pre show 4 way? It was actually awesome

    ReplyDelete
  81. Naw. Missed the 4 way. Seems like I'm in the minority about hhh/Bryan so might have to watch that again.

    ReplyDelete
  82. I'd like you guys as a whacky fussin and feuding tag team, or mismatched buddy cop duo.

    ReplyDelete
  83. God, I can't imagine the Baker emails Scottish have gotten so far

    ReplyDelete
  84. Who would get all the chicks?

    ReplyDelete
  85. Hhh's best match since 2004 for sure

    ReplyDelete
  86. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM

    "It shouldn't be up to Undertaker to decide when the streak is over"


    but he's the one actively participating in the streak. his body, his state of mind, his decision


    i'm sorry, but there's really no way for you to justify your argument. taker isn't our slave whose sole purpose is to perform at wm for us

    ReplyDelete
  87. Johnny Utah and Angelo Pappas

    ReplyDelete
  88. When Orton hit the RKO and Dave stole the pin on the running knee, I almost couldn't watch. Love that they made sure to have D-Bry dumped from the ring for both near falls.

    ReplyDelete
  89. Well he'd finally find true love with that bitchy CSI female cop but you'd be banging tons of tail to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  90. This made me laugh very hard

    ReplyDelete
  91. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM

    "Vince treated him as a an actual person (who had been a loyal WWE
    employee for 20 years) and valued what Taker wanted and how it would
    affect his real life."


    this


    seriously, in what world is it ok for taker to say he physically can't take it anymore and he doesn't want to risk permanent damage and for vince to respond with "fuck you, get out there and wrestle!"

    ReplyDelete
  92. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM

    Oh yeah! Bought that one too, but less so. But when Bryan hit the knee and Batista covered, I totally 100% thought it was over. Great moment.
    And kind of funny that Randy Orton probably got the biggest kick-out babyface pop of the show.

    ReplyDelete
  93. They got me when HHH hit him with the Pedigree too. Stephanie was just awesome as the heel manager. So great

    ReplyDelete
  94. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM

    sting in late '96, '97 says... well, nothing, really


    but you know what i mean

    ReplyDelete
  95. Really?


    Have you ever seen Orton/HHH from 07 LMS?

    ReplyDelete
  96. I was screaming at Batista to tap as well.

    ReplyDelete
  97. ...and on top of that they've got me babysitting some virgin wrestling fan named your favorite loser or something!

    The shit they pull huh?

    ReplyDelete
  98. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:30 PM

    "These guys on a blog fantasy booked you to wrestle Roman Reigns in a respect match at Mania 31, and do the John Cena heel turn at Mania 32. Now go cripple yourself, asshole!"


    There's a lot of confusion between "slave" and "employee" out there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  99. There is plenty justification for it, and your counter argument here isn't based on what I said.

    Reread it, and if there is something you don't understand ask specific questions and we can discuss them.

    ReplyDelete
  100. Yeah its pretty awesome too. IMO this match vs Bryan was a classic too. I think Scott underrated it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  101. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM

    Man, wrestling really is fun sometimes, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  102. Here's a more detailed explanation of why I've come around on the end of the Streak. For one, there's as much of a downside to having a young up and comer end the Streak as there was for them to win it. If, say, Roman Reigns, or even Cesaro had gotten the honors, they may have gained instant credibility. Or, they may have been brandished and loathed by the fan base, and unable to seize the opportunity. With Brock, it's a whole different ballgame; he still transcends the prototypical superstar mold that products of the system exhibit, because of his UFC career.

    By ending the Streak, Brock now goes into Alpha Heel mode, and you have a license to print money on every appearance he makes between now and WrestleMania next year at least. Anyone that works with Brock gets elevated because of this, and IF the Undertaker can wrestle next year for his swan song, the focus will no longer be on the Streak, just a veteran who's had a Hell of a career and deserves some props. I think, a lot of the time, the Streak became larger than the character holding the record. If Taker wrestles next year, have it definitely be his "Last Stand" to prove he still has it. Undertaker vs. Cena can still work, and work well. Why not build up Brock if you can?

    ReplyDelete
  103. LOVE Batista and Orton once again being HHH's lackeys, especially because they're established stars this time around instead of up-and-comers. I was popping in my living room for their "match" with the Usos and for them coming out before the main event with no music and the crowd booing them like crazy. I think part of it is because of how similar their look and vibe is, with the tattoos and the shaved heads and whatnot. You have Big Brother Dave and Little Brother Randy, the Douche Twins (as Scott says) or the Brothers of Douchestruction (as James says) or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  104. I could see Taker wanting to give it one more shot due to the concussion.

    ReplyDelete
  105. Viva con Dios BRO!

    ReplyDelete
  106. Yea, it is. The one year I don't really care about a streak match too...

    ReplyDelete
  107. Your_Favourite_LoserApril 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM

    "if there is something you don't understand ask specific questions and we can discuss them."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXSj2Rj2oVA

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG_WIFLjnsM

    ReplyDelete
  108. I think they'll do it simply so they can make a big production about it being his final match. The grand hurrah.

    ReplyDelete
  109. Let me tell you something farva. I was on this blog when you were popping zits on your funny face and jacking off to the lingerie section of the sears catalog!

    ReplyDelete
  110. I like how I was getting criticized for "speculating" that wwe got blindsided by Takers decision to retire, when all the circumstantial evidence points to that being true...

    But yet it's NOT speculating that people think a young guy breaking the streak will be kill a guys career.

    That makes 0 sense

    ReplyDelete
  111. The best pre show match ever. Those dudes should have been on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  112. The only thing I worry about with Brock is that it always feels like he's one step away from walking away again. Whether it's due to boredom, illness, injury, or him getting it in his head that he wants one more go around in UFC.

    ReplyDelete
  113. Its also the same company that thought Batista hugging hhh would make him the #1 face. They are fuckimg stupid

    ReplyDelete
  114. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM

    It's a completely different working situation than back then too. He's getting way more money, and no longer has to deal with the thing he hated. (WWE's travel schedule.) Brock's working his dream deal right now.


    Plus, and not to get us back on this general thread again--- Brock didn't exactly flake out. He gave notice, he did the job at Mania 20. And yeah, WWE obviously did some things to test him in the last few years (jobbing him to Cena and HHH) and so far he's seemed like a 100% reliable employee.



    Obviously we're all just making our most educated guesses from a completely outside perspective, but he seems like a pretty safe bet to do business.

    ReplyDelete
  115. "License to print money"

    Disagree. Brock Is already viewed as a big deal. Snapping the streak dies give him a special *something* but the bottom line is hell wrestle 3 matches against wwes top guys. Unless he resigns wwe will be hesistant to put him over all 3 strongly, thus erasing and "rub" he's gotten

    ReplyDelete
  116. TJ: You children of the 80's might want to check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmalZOqtv7A

    ReplyDelete
  117. Also don't forget Vince doesn't want to pay the taxes and deal with liability so undertaker isn't even an employee.

    ReplyDelete
  118. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM

    Nobody does it like you, Hunter!


    Oh, she was amazing. Looked fucking hot, nailed every facial expression, her insults and "cheering" were dead on. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  119. He had went to see like 2-3 doctors to get a clearence supposedly for WM 19

    ReplyDelete
  120. Bryan vs heel punk at wm31 or gtfo

    ReplyDelete
  121. The only thing working in favor of him NOT going back to UFC is his age. At 36, he's getting close to the point where younger fighters would probably be able to overtake him; the last two fights he had, he got knocked out in the first round, and that was back in 2011. But for pro wrestling, if he really wanted to, he could easily go another five to six years easy before you'd see a noticeable drop physically speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  122. Glad all those sting appearing at WM or Raw after 2 were accurate, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  123. Well, he's in the power position, so he'll be able to call his own shots whatever he chooses to do. I've never seen someone have the WWE bent over like his personal bitch like Brock has them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  124. --Steve Austin and Dwayne Johnson are both figured into the show. If C.M. Punk is going to be there, nobody knows. He was at the Chicago Blackhawks game today, which doesn't make it impossible for him to be there, but I wouldn't bet on it either. I haven't heard Sting but it wouldn't surprise me either since it is inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  125. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM

    Breaking the streak gives him a REALLY special something. It's absolutely huge how much of a big deal this makes him to the WWE audience. Honestly, I think Brock Lesnar is a way bigger deal today to WWE fans than he was the Raw after Mania 28. So much pro wrestling credibility now, and such an awesome piece of mythology to add to his storylines.


    On the flip side, I think Lesnar's stock was about to drop dramatically after a loss to Taker, ESPECIALLY that broken down version of Taker.

    ReplyDelete
  126. This is where we have a divergence of opinion; my personal belief is that his losses to Triple H at 'Mania and especially the Cena loss killed a lot of that specialness. He was still a main event level player, but he was basically no different from a Cena by the time he'd gotten finished with the Triple H program (it didn't help that those three Triple H matches uniformly bored the Hell out of everyone).


    Witness the disappointing Summerslam buyrate, where he had a marquee match against one of the more popular men in the company. The box office appeal was shot, and now you're paying someone bukus for little return. The need to rehabilitate Brock into an alpha monster heel was more important than keeping the Streak alive; at best, Taker could have had one or two more matches (possibly none considering how banged up he is now). Brock could be around for several years if booked properly, and can make a lot more money going forward than 'Taker can only working one day a year.

    ReplyDelete
  127. I still want someone to beat Honky Tonk Mans record.

    ReplyDelete
  128. I'm sure Brock would be fine with working two-three times per month (2 Raws and a PPV) while he has title. It was the contestant travel and grind that really got to him back when; six flights a month won't ruin his life.

    ReplyDelete
  129. You'd have to think Taker getting injured altered the timeline for Sting's appearance. I don't think Dave's at fault on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  130. I leaned towards Heenan but then thought: Heenan signed Barbarian from Fuji (and put antlers on him lol). Heyman signed

    ReplyDelete
  131. I loved Lesnar ending it.

    ReplyDelete
  132. I can partially agree to that but theres many mitigating factors.


    -You break the streak with a new guy and he doesnt get over.
    -You break the streak with an established guy and its wasted.


    Brock winning is the best of both worlds.


    Brock is an established guy, who had tepid heat going in from earlier losses. This feather works forever and guess what, theres no comeuppance, unless you pay to see him lose.


    Which doesnt matter anymore because he can be rebuilt.


    The question is do you keep him as a mania guy only and have him win... or do you spread him out over the big four so he can do a job or two to show some vulnerability?

    ReplyDelete
  133. This; Brock came out of the Triple H program worse for wear, and his involvement against CM Punk was almost as a proxy for Paul Heyman (not to say the angle/match wasn't great, because they were). Destroying Big Show would've helped some, had Show not basically shrugged it off the next week as if nothing had happened. You elevate Brock to unfathomable heeldom by destroying something TWENTY-TWO YEARS in the making, and you're printing money every time he wrestles for the next year.

    If he takes the title off of Bryan at SummerSlam, you've effectively created the biggest heel the company's had since the '90s. Imagine what you could do then at WrestleMania XXXI, and how you can really elevate someone. Brock v. Reigns for the title? Brock v. Bryan? You can start lighting cigars with $20s.

    ReplyDelete
  134. Just to clarify the SS buyrate was higher than initially reported.

    ReplyDelete
  135. Brock breaking the streak was just tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  136. It doesnt matter if he is a flake, where does he go?


    He cant go anywhere.


    He cant go back to the UFC and take that punishment for peanuts. He wont get the same money in TNA or Japan or anywhere else.


    So he can let Vince pay him huge to job or go over at will and its a silent Fuck you to Dana.

    ReplyDelete
  137. The last figures I saw (admittedly from October) was that it did 296K, which is down 62K from 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  138. Didn't that SS vs HHH do a good buyrate?

    The issue is that WWE will slowly ingratiate their philosophy into him...the he's just a part of the roster now, the brand is the draw, yadda yadda. Look at what they did his return match. Make sure he knew his role within the roster.

    For this to work, they'd have to book Brock strong for awhile. While not impossible, wwe probably won't do this because

    A) it's not their style
    B) Brock can walk in 1 year so unless he resigns they'll be hesistant to put him over all of the companies top.names between now and next mania.

    Any "rub" he gets will be gone after Summerslam

    ReplyDelete
  139. I'm just going to throw out there that I couldn't care less about ever seeing CM Punk or Sting on TV again. Brock breaking the streak was brilliant booking.

    ReplyDelete
  140. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM

    Listen, the examples of bad angles are what they are. I agree, they fuck things up more often than not.


    But the sun shines on a broken dog's ass twice a day, right? Sometimes they can do it right too. I'd say Bryan/HHH feud since the Rumble (or whenever around that time that they officially decided to change their Mania plans) has been masterful. They booked the heel and the face really well, it kept building, and the key night for the feud (Mania 30) was just about perfect in every way. And the follow up last night was also awesome.
    So what I'm saying is... they CAN come up with great stuff. It's possible.



    And even within the overall bad builds you mentioned, there are plenty of great moments and mini angles and feuds (example, Shield vs Rhodes Bros) that play out really well. If not forever (nothing works forever--- not even Austin/Vince), then at least for bursts of time. It happens, ya know? So it would have been cool if that happened for the build of Taker/Lesnar. (In the way that the builds for Taker/Shawn and Taker/HHH were really good.)

    ReplyDelete
  141. I think people that are saying that about Punk and Sting are just caught up in the moment. Once the afterglow fades people will be happy to see Punk come back.

    ReplyDelete
  142. I think it comes down to perception: Brock is the prototypical Vince guy, and I'm fairly certain it was Vince that pushed to bring him back. For all the grief Vince gets for holding grudges for all eternity, he's shown time and again to bury the hatchet if money can be made. Something else to consider: the profit margins have been shrinking over the last 4-5 years, and someone as astute as Vince has to know that the same four guys on top year after year would ultimately drain his business. He probably looked at Brock as a proven commodity that could draw in fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  143. It's like when you break up with someone and say, "I'll never love anyone again." Then time goes by and hearts mend and voila, you're banging the hot barista from the coffee shop down the street :)

    ReplyDelete
  144. "Douche Twins" needs to stick. Too perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  145. The difference between then and now is the roster composition. The heel side of the roster is utterly depleted on top; Orton just came off a long run and needs to be recycled to the upper-mid card for awhile, and they bet on Batista and came up craps thus far. Bray Wyatt could be cultivated, but he's in that uncomfortable danger zone where mismanagement now could quash the progress that has been made thus far. Kane's days as a productive top heel are long gone. That doesn't leave anyone to really look to to provide the true monster heel they need.



    Cesaro and Bray can get there, but they haven't reached that level yet. Until they do, Brock has to be the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  146. Made me think of "that's why I kicked your leg from under your leg" lol

    ReplyDelete
  147. I agree, though I do have to remind people of when Lesnar and Goldberg were getting booed out of the building at Mania. And his crowd reactions have been very tepid at times during this run. It seems to be hot or cold depending on the week.

    ReplyDelete
  148. I'd take Punk back in a heartbeat. Sting's best guess 10 years too late, arguably more like 15+.

    ReplyDelete
  149. That was the old number but I don't have the revised one on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  150. Well, I think the Goldberg/Lesnar match was more of an aberration, largely because the New York crowd (notoriously smarky already, infinitely multiplied by the WM patrons) knew both were leaving, so they had no real patience with the match. In general though, Lesnar's best reactions came when he was working with Cena, then CM Punk. The build between Lesnar and Triple H to SS 2012 was pretty decent, but the match fell so flat that no one wanted to see it again. Which is why we got it two more times.



    You're definitely right, he can become a bit passe from time to time. I just think it has more to do with how he's booked than him personally. Deep down, I think people enjoy seeing Brock out there.

    ReplyDelete
  151. I thought it was actually up from the previous years but I don't remember exactly

    ReplyDelete
  152. Oh for sure. And him beating the streak could be a game changer in that regard. I just think half the time the crowd doesn't know what to do with Brock. It's like he's not considered one of our own. If Brock had more charisma on the mike they could really play up that outsider angle.

    ReplyDelete
  153. 100% serious question: what's the difference between Brock ending the streak now or HHH ending it 2 years ago?

    Both big time heels that only work.part time.

    ReplyDelete
  154. Well that was quick.

    ReplyDelete
  155. Before the Rumble, I would've bet the house on it. Now, though? The only way I see it happening is if Bryan's not the champion, because I gotta think the money is in a Brock/Bryan match for the title after he loses it at Summerslam. The only way around that would be to elevate Roman Reigns, but that's problematic for Punk because he wants the main event; would he come back if he wasn't going on last?

    ReplyDelete
  156. Taker's health and willingness to go "One more year".

    ReplyDelete
  157. I'll clarify that by saying he's had his Mania moment. I'd much rather see Cesaro or Reigns get the top spot at 31. Bryan's legacy is now set.

    ReplyDelete
  158. The only thing I thought was wrong with the match was the camera work.


    The camera work has been shitty

    ReplyDelete
  159. Triple H is eight years older than Brock, bulletproof booking-wise because of his storyline dominance over the past decade and his marital connections behind the scenes. Triple H and Brock both only work a few dates a year, but Brock has the bigger upside at this point, being both younger and fresher in terms of his longevity (Triple H's near-20 years in the company come 2015, versus Brock's cumulative total of seven).

    ReplyDelete
  160. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM

    HHH wasn't a heel, he was a face. So the ending would have been a "mutual respect" thing, which doesn't sell tickets or create angles like a "dominant, bragging heel" does.



    HHH wasn't nearly the special attraction that Lesnar is, because we've seen HHH wrestle a billion times in the last decade, even if he's part time now.


    HHH can't pull off the real life "oh shit, look at this monster" thing that Brock can, for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  161. Ya know, who did he predict to be there, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  162. Seconded. I haven't missed Punk at all.

    ReplyDelete
  163. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM

    Also, Brock is younger than HHH by a good bit, and is currently way better in the ring.

    ReplyDelete
  164. Please, God give us War Games.

    ReplyDelete
  165. He said that about RVD, not Sting

    ReplyDelete
  166. I'm content, inasmuch as his departure has opened the door for new talent to get an opportunity to shine. Once a few months pass, hopefully he gets a fresh perspective, gets healed up and recharged, and comes back with a new mentality. A motivated Punk on the card can only help the product.

    ReplyDelete
  167. Agree except for Cena-Taker. The value of that match would have been the suspense over whether Cena would end the streak. There's no real point now.

    Besides, Taker is DONE. WM proved once and for all that he has nothing left in the tank.

    ReplyDelete
  168. Age isn't a factor really since HHH will be around A LOT longer then Brock regardless of age. HHH can still go as evidenced.

    Brock Is definitely a bigger "special attraction" but I don't think the difference is insanely drastic

    ReplyDelete
  169. The biggest difference would be the response online. This would feed into the narrative of Triple H only doing what is best for himself. Triple H ending the streak would have cemented that legacy. (I'm not bashing Triple H here--he did a lot to dispel this view of him at Mania by really putting Bryan over hard.)

    ReplyDelete
  170. What does a good booker do about all of those $500 seats that can't be sold?

    Ain't nothing that could be done in Wargames that couldn't be done with a Cell.

    ReplyDelete
  171. I think Cena-Taker can work still, provided 'Taker CAN work one more match. If the reports are true that he suffered a major concussion early on in the Brock match, it could explain the weaker nature of the match, and why it was disjointed (Brock had to audible on the fly to compensate). While I'm leaning 60-40 on him being done, I wouldn't rule it out just yet, especially with a noted safe opponent like John Cena.



    Working with Cena is the last true untouched marquee match for either Cena or 'Taker at this point, and with the burden of the Streak now lifted, you can put the focus more on Undertaker himself versus the Streak. His 'last stand' to prove his soul will never rest in peace, or however you want to present it. You can give him the big exit treatment with the HoF and the main event to let him go out in style.

    ReplyDelete
  172. I dunno, I think she really likes being a wrestler right now. And Punk doesn't seem like the kind of guy you want to be around 24/7 anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  173. And let me spank her.

    Bad AJ! Bad, NAUGHTY AJ!

    ReplyDelete
  174. Punk going to Jarrett's promotion would actually be great for the business, and really help jumpstart them.

    ReplyDelete
  175. At the time, a lot of the IWC would've looked at it that way, but from a practical standpoint, Triple H had nothing to gain from it. Brock Lesnar benefits far more than Hunter could.

    ReplyDelete
  176. That's kinda my point. The biggest difference is how people would *perceive* it

    ReplyDelete
  177. Agree with Sting and I agree about Punk for now. If he came back though I would be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  178. Engaged? When did that happen?

    Anyway, I imagine that WWE would keep if only to keep the lines of communication open.

    ReplyDelete
  179. Well just wait for the follow up to see how much Brock really gains from it

    ReplyDelete
  180. It's what they do with every Cena feud when he has the title.

    ReplyDelete
  181. I liked the idea that someone (I forget who now) had to turn Brock into Batista on steroids: the ultimate prick who gloats about destroying the Streak (and a significant part of the fanbase's collective memories) in the process. Really hype his mercenary reputation and make him the most hated guy in the building, because with Lesnar's its the good hate, the "I will pay money to see someone jack his ass up".

    ReplyDelete
  182. Colt Cabana. CM Punk COULD change things by sitting on his couch at home.

    ReplyDelete
  183. Makes me miss Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  184. I think we'll see him feud with HHH and then HHH retire him since its someone HHH has never beat.

    ReplyDelete
  185. Oddly enough, his limited dates HELP him in this regard. If he's only around for a couple of matches, he doesn't get overexposed like everyone else does in terms of cycling through the same set of opponents every two months with the endless parade of 3-hr. Raws. Doing three matches with Triple H between August 2012 and May 2013 is a far cry from Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus doing twelve matches between October 1st and December 1st, or the ninety matches between Del Rio and Kofi.

    ReplyDelete
  186. Heyman absolutely knew. He was halfway in the ring before the ref was done counting the 2.

    ReplyDelete
  187. Well, you know the old saying: perception is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  188. Worst_in_the_WorldApril 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

    THREADJACK...

    In a rating that hopefully bodes well for Bryan and the whole "new blood" movement, Raw drew a monster rating last night:

    http://www.prowrestling.net/article.php?WWE-Raw-Rating-Night-after-WrestleMania-30-rating-36542


    Over 5 million viewers, and a higher rating than the Raws after Mania 28 and 29.



    Good to see such a good show do well.

    ReplyDelete
  189. I'm sure it'll drop a little from there for a bit but this is great news. It'd be awesome if they could consistently get in the 4s again.

    ReplyDelete
  190. Good rating considering the ncaa game was on

    ReplyDelete
  191. In kayfabe terms of getting his "clients" to the main-event, he's only had a handful, all of whom didn't last too long as champion (even Punk's 434 started when Punk was a face, without Heyman). In those terms, he's probably somewhere in the middle.

    Realistically, though? Greatest talker in wrestling history, and a guy that puts many "movie stars" to shame.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment